Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
pseudo individualism
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very strange sound coming from my rear end when I start my car. It sounds like thumping over and over again? When I put my car in 1st and go it will also make the noice. I have no clue as to what it could be.

I have a Borla exhaust, and it seems to be on my car tight? Anyone have any idea's?

·
Registered
531 Posts
The rear differential on our 3000 has some play to it. What does your sound sound like? Is it a clunk whenever you engage the throttle? Or is it something else entirely? What makes you think it's the exhaust?

Also, where do you live? In the winter, our car makes some pretty goofy sounds due to the cold temps making things really stiff and slow moving.

·
pseudo individualism
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im in kansas

Im in kansas so its pretty cold here. It sounds like a loud thumping noice in the rear. I dont have to give it any gas for it to make the noice, it does it on startup. It also makes the sound when I put take off in first.

Carrier bearings? what are those?

·
I'm Back
1,839 Posts
nah dude

check the exhaust first...

when the exhaust hangers get old they slacken. i had to tighten them and adjust shit for my ATR system two or three times because it would knock against the gas tank/bottom of the car. the gibson system on my brother's jeep does it too. definitely check that first.

i dont see how it could be the rear diff at startup...its not even moving. the exhaust can be tight but still move around. go in the back of your car and take each tailpipe and try to move it back and forth and up and down and see what it hits. im almost positive thats what it is.

chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.