Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m familiar with the lifters ticking occasionally but this noise was different, thought it was the bearings from the water pump but I wasn’t sure. So I purchased a mechanics stethoscope from HF to isolate the noise and WOW does this thing work, there is no noise from the water pump area.
But placing the probe on the rear bank I got a unwelcome sound from the rear of the head, the noise sped up as I revved it. If your familiar with BMWS vanos snakes in a can rattle it sounds like that with the probe. A few weeks ago I put in castrol edge 5-30 full synthetic with Lucas oil synthetic stabilizer, recently did some WOT pulls but didn’t go past 6500 rpm, never hit rev limiter.
I assume it’s the lifters or valve springs, would changing the oil with royal purple make a difference? Even though I just changed the oil 1000 miles ago, it’s the same oil I run in my e46. Noise just started a couple of days ago, the car is a 1992 MT na dohc
05F05128-2A87-4586-A3C1-E2C16E7CF477.jpeg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cool to cold i saw snow flakes yesterday
I don’t think the oil is my problem, because when I put the probe to the back of bank 2 I can hear the noise and it’s really loud compared to the other places on the heads. I believe my lifter or lifters are going bad

1 - 8 of 8 Posts