Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
GTO's a happening
14,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I'm just getting old, but imo it shouldn't be tolerated. I've been a regular user of this word up until recently, but having discovered that a friend of mine could be gay, I felt pretty bad.
I know this is a predominantly boys forum, and it's full of childish kids who think they know everything who would find this a stupid idea, but I think it's worth a discussion.

·
Super Moderator
9,111 Posts
Honestly, I just don't care. It doesn't bother me once so ever, and I have gay friends. They think it funny how sensitive straight people are about the word gay and its usage.

·
Premium Member
17,963 Posts
Yeah one life long friend I found out was gay a year or so ago. He doesn't take offense to it, now fag is a diff story, so I don't worry about it.

Coop

·
GTO's a happening
14,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And I see black people using the "n" word all the time. I guess that makes it ok to use as well? I'm far from the worlds most sensitive person and think this is something we should be less tolerant about.

·
Super Moderator
9,111 Posts
Well this is a car forum, and I am far from being a liberal political correct person... so I really can care less.

Gay is not a derogatory term... but faggot is.

And well some might consider your use of "black people" to be offensive. As well as a statement you made earlier in another thread about "not being a pussy".

Trust me, I see a lot more personally offensive stuff on here against women than I do against the homosexual crowd... but you don't see me bitching about it.

And of the two years I've been a moderator... I've NEVER seen a reported post about somebody being offended for somebody's usage of the word gay.

·
GTO's a happening
14,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gay is not a derogatory term... but faggot is.
When someone says, "that car is hell gay...." Or "those wheels looks gay", it's a derrogatory statement April. Don't play stupid on this. Just stick with your I don't care statement and leave it at that.

Also fyi:
fag·ot also fag·got (fgt)
n.
1. A bundle of twigs, sticks, or branches bound together.
2. A bundle of pieces of iron or steel to be welded or hammered into bars.
tr.v. fag·ot·ed also fag·got·ed, fag·ot·ing also fag·got·ing, fag·ots also fag·gots
1. To bind into a fagot; bundle.
2. To decorate with fagoting.

Quilters might think you're a touch soft if you get offended so easily. ;)

·
Super Moderator
9,111 Posts
When someone says, "that car is hell gay...." Or "those wheels looks gay", it's a derrogatory statement April. Don't play stupid on this. Just stick with your I don't care statement and leave it at that.

Also fyi:
fag·ot also fag·got (fgt)
n.
1. A bundle of twigs, sticks, or branches bound together.
2. A bundle of pieces of iron or steel to be welded or hammered into bars.
tr.v. fag·ot·ed also fag·got·ed, fag·ot·ing also fag·got·ing, fag·ots also fag·gots
1. To bind into a fagot; bundle.
2. To decorate with fagoting.

Quilters might think you're a touch soft if you get offended so easily. ;)
You do know there is another definition to "gay" right... if you want to get technical.

Funny how you want to complain about the word, but say nothing about the "supergay" smilie we have :supergay:

If you want this to be a politically correct forum... then there are lots of things that would offend a multitude of people. Guess we need to delete any references to christmas, or stop the people that use the word "God" or "Jesus". See where I'm going with this.

·
GTO's a happening
14,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, I see where you're going. You're going down over reaction road. lol

As far as the word gay is concerned, you either think I'm stupid, or you're not as smart as I thought you were... or you just love to argue a point for the hell of it. (I'm leaning towards the third option)

Gay:
cheerful, cheery, merry, jolly, light-hearted, mirthful, jovial, glad, happy, bright, in good spirits, in high spirits, joyful, elated, exuberant, animated, lively, sprightly, vivacious, buoyant, bouncy, bubbly, perky, effervescent, playful, frolicsome;

And that's NOT what members mean when being negative towards something.

·
Super Moderator
9,111 Posts
I was perfectly fine not responding in this thread... and thought that you would have guessed how I felt by my non-response.

But no, you had to bump this up and call me out. Now that I gave you my answer you want to argue because you don't agree with my not really giving a damn.

·
General & A/V Moderator
7,249 Posts
It doesnt bother me nor do many slangs or offensive comments when directed at me. I work in a verbally hostile environment and have grown to adapt and not take things personal. I would like to think that has helped to build character.

With that said im a strong believer that we as people, individuals are fully responsible for our own happiness or sorrow. Situations come and go, but we control how they affect us.

I have no desire to pad each forum, thread of potentially hurtful words. If we did Jerk, ricer, retarded...and many others would have to be monitored. We are all adults, so I will treat you all as such. If your peers think you are out of line then I hope they would speak up and maybe convince you to do otherwise.

·
GTO's a happening
14,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I was perfectly fine not responding in this thread... and thought that you would have guessed how I felt by my non-response.

But no, you had to bump this up and call me out. Now that I gave you my answer you want to argue because you don't agree with my not really giving a damn.
You really are quite dramatic April. I didn't call you out, as such. I just wanted your thoughts, all the mods thoughts actually. I didn't argue with you not caring, I simply corrected you on a couple of your points. :)

It doesnt bother me nor do many slangs or offensive comments when directed at me. I work in a verbally hostile environment and have grown to adapt and not take things personal. I would like to think that has helped to build character.

With that said im a strong believer that we as people, individuals are fully responsible for our own happiness or sorrow. Situations come and go, but we control how they affect us.

I have no desire to pad each forum, thread of potentially hurtful words. If we did Jerk, ricer, retarded...and many others would have to be monitored. We are all adults, so I will treat you all as such. If your peers think you are out of line then I hope they would speak up and maybe convince you to do otherwise.
Fair enough. Looks like ignorance is bliss gets the majority. :)

·
Super Moderator
9,111 Posts
You really are quite dramatic April. I didn't call you out, as such. I just wanted your thoughts, all the mods thoughts actually. I didn't argue with you not caring, I simply corrected you on a couple of your points. :)

Fair enough. Looks like ignorance is bliss gets the majority. :)
I don't know exactly what you "corrected" me on. Here in the states, the term "faggot" to homosexuals is what "nigger" is to black people. I wouldn't tolerate either term.

When I read "those wheels look gay" I basically read "those wheels look queer". I in no way associate that statement with the actual gay population.

It's not ignorance... some people need to grow a thicker skin and stop pandering to please every socially different group out there. With the world's skin ever so thin, you cannot say anything without pissing somebody off.

·
GTO's a happening
14,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree. The world is too much cotton wool and band aids, not enough get back on the horse mentality. My reasoning for this is that we believe an Aussie member is gay and he use to post a lot, not so much anymore and I know I've been pretty bad with using the word gay as a piss take. I just think there are other words we could use instead.

·
Super Moderator
9,111 Posts
Now-n-days it's cool to gay... so I don't know what he's worried about. There will always be those few that will take issue, and if it becomes a problem we would take care of them.

No matter what words you replace "gay" with, it would be offensive to somebody. If you say "those wheels look retarded" then you offended the mentally challenged people. Since a majority of the forum is made up of a younger generation than probably you and me, changing their vocabulary will be impossible. And trying to moderate stuff like that would only cause more people to use the word. I really don't see "that's gay" reference as much as I did a few years ago though. People grow up, and trying to force that only encourages immaturity :D

And what is "piss take", that's definitely an Aussie expression LOL?

And who made your GTR RC car?

·
GTO's a happening
14,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't know what he's worried about.

No matter what words you replace "gay" with, it would be offensive to somebody. If you say "those wheels look retarded" then you offended the mentally challenged people. Since a majority of the forum is made up of a younger generation than probably you and me, changing their vocabulary will be impossible. And trying to moderate stuff like that would only cause more people to use the word. I really don't see "that's gay" reference as much as I did a few years ago though. People grow up, and trying to force that only encourages immaturity :D

And what is "piss take", that's definitely an Aussie expression LOL?

And who made your GTR RC car?
First of all, not being gay means you don't know what they feel or why so you can't try and say you'd know......

The word retarded I'm ok with because it's also a car term. It means to go backwards, or negative. The opposite of positive in a sense which makes perfect sense when bagging what someone has done.

As for taking the piss, yes it's Aussie slang. To have a lend of someone. To joke at someone elses expense. Mucking around. Kapich? ;)

As for my RC. Tamiya I believe. Haven't used it in a while sadly. One of those pre packaged do f*ck all RC cars.

·
Super Moderator
9,111 Posts
First of all, not being gay means you don't know what they feel or why so you can't try and say you'd know......

The word retarded I'm ok with because it's also a car term. It means to go backwards, or negative. The opposite of positive in a sense which makes perfect sense when bagging what someone has done.

As for taking the piss, yes it's Aussie slang. To have a lend of someone. To joke at someone elses expense. Mucking around. Kapich? ;)

As for my RC. Tamiya I believe. Haven't used it in a while sadly. One of those pre packaged do f*ck all RC cars.

I may not be gay... but one of my best friends and roommate in college was gay. It was a little awkward when I found out she had a crush on me, and we had a "talk" that it would never happen. But after that, I was entered into the gay inner circle, and I know pretty much how they think and what they feel. We actually were a pretty close group of friends. I've seen the good, bad, and the ugly (fully clothed of course). But these we openly gay people, who knew what came with the territory and handled it pretty well. They are the ones who don't take "that's gay" personally. The ones that try to hide who they are are the ones that take something like "that's gay" personally... if the gay guy like said wheels, then it would alright right?

As you can tell I like arguing LOL.

BTW, I'm really intrigued by RC cars, thanks to the thread on the other forum. Starting small though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts