Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just put the deposit on my 1995 Green VR-4 with 39k on it
....I'm very excited, but there was a few things of concern (I mentioned them here http://www.3si.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002089.html ). The main thing was the Thump in the rear every time I shift w/o babying the car (which I dont plan on doing). Many of you said that I need a new differential or a universal. Also when I turn the car on I hear a whirrrr sound from the left of the engine (from outside), is this the turbos??...or anything that I should get replaced? Thirdly, when I rev the car when it is cold I hear a rapid ticking from the Tach. But, the dealer said he would replace "EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING NEEDED ON THE CAR", therefore what should I tell him I need. What is really expensive that I will need later or to fix the problems I mentioned above ,which I could get paid for now? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Adam, Adam, Adam, This sounds far too good to be true, you ripping off a dealer.

I think not young neophyte. You see it never works that way, the dealer will take revenge and in a very unpleasent manner, rubber gloves please.

If by chance this dealer has been inhaling then yes go for it. Have him replace the rear end and the U-joints. If the trans is notchey feeling get him to replace the trans, transfer case and clutch. The noise from the front of the engine is more than likely the belts, if you can talk them into replaceing the belts have them do the timing belt too, it's worth a shot. Maybe the turbos too, who knows.

But at last, if your father doesn't own this dealership you may find saw dust in your trans and engine and who know what in the diff.

I just wish you good luck and hope this dealer is a real Santa and not just one from the malls.

Good luck,

Dave Best
3Si #62

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I need to be more specific when talking to him...right before I sign for the car I will have him put in writing that he will make the car "PERFECT" (his word) and what I think perfect means. I will write every symptome down and how the mechanics cured it, so when something brakes shortly after I can go crazy on them. So any one else......?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I was one of the people on your previous post.

The noises you're hearing are things we can't hear, and although we may like to think "yeah, I know what that is", we may in fact be thinking of another symptom that produces similar sounds when described in a written format.

The worst noise you're hearing APPEARS TO BE the thump, and it could be anything as simple as a clutch adjustment or carrier bearings, to something as messy as a bad transfer case, rear end, transaxle, etc. The whirring noise may be nothing more than a ABS pump in self check, but it could also be a bad AB$ pump ($$$$$$$$$).

I would hunt down a mechanic in your area(and I mean HUNT) who is genuinely familiar with the car (maybe someone who owns one) and PAY HIM to test drive the car and give his opinions. Maybe there's someone on the list in your area you could have listen to it (I'm assuming the dealership won't let you take it out for an inspection...if he will, then DO IT).

Good Luck,

Bill Wagner

[This message has been edited by Bill Wagner (edited December 24, 1999).]

·
Registered
64 Posts
Adam

How does the car handle on the road? Any evidence of bodywork? Any abnormal or peculiar handling characteristics? The extremely low mileage suggests that the car was only driven about 8K miles per year. I don't know about everyone else on this site, but I average somewhere around 15K to 20K per year. If the miles are too low, I'd wonder why. Perhaps this particular car spent most of it's life in the service bay. Or perhaps it sat in someone's garage for a year or so while being pieced back together after an accident.* (*I once purchased a "low mileage" car that later turned out to be a rebuilt wreck.) Check the title and run the VIN. But be aware that in some states a car owner who fixes his damaged car at his own expense without involving the insurance company can ususally avoid having the "salvage" disclosure placed on the car's title so don't rely on a disclosure.

Have the car examined by a reputable mechanic. Don't trust the dealer's tecnicians. If the dealer balks at your request, he may be hiding something. I'd walk if he says "no."
You don't say what you're paying for the car but my guess is, "it ain't cheap..." Therefore, if you're prepared to invest thousands, it makes sense to invest a modest amount for the purpose of securing a thorough pre-purchase inspection.
If you want even more protection, I'd press for a warranty, as well.

Good Luck!
PJ '91 Red GT-SL

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
hey, don't mean to worry you here but my car had that thump when i bought it. i don't know what it was for sure but i do know that my tranny went 3k miles later and i replaced the tranny, transfer case and the clutch. after that the thump was gone. i am pretty sure we are talking about the same thump.

good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts