Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have to do some winter preparation for my car. I'm a Chicago guy.

I have two parking spots in my complex and I was thinking of just buying a nice cover for the car and leave it there. Then, once a month, I'd get in there and start her up.

What brand do you guys suggest? Cost?

Since I plan on not taking it off to start it..it has to be fire and heat resistant.

Am I asking for trouble? Should I just instead spring for a heated garage. Tell me what you think..please!!!

C

·
0 Posts
I'd spring for the garage if I had a choice. I think the car cover would do more damage to your paint than just leaving it exposed to the elements. You stand a real good chance of getting moisture trapped under the waterproof cover and it just would not dry out.

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
I use covar covers made by Covercraft (Technalon? series). It is a tan colored soft perforated cover, that allows paint to breath but keeps out rain, snow, sleet, sun, etc. I have used them on several cars from Corvettes to my VR4's. They are a great cover and best price seems to be Pep Boys at around $110.I think they are stopping carrying them, so better get one at that price while can.
Just my 5 cents worth.
Steve
Ps- Don't know what its fire rating is but it should not be covering your exhaust while running anyway or you might find you get Carbon Monoxide poisoning and end up sick or dead. It can handle hot hoods, mufflers, etc.

[This message has been edited by SteveVR4 (edited December 06, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by SteveVR4 (edited December 06, 1999).]

·
'94 3000GT original owner
1,609 Posts
I've had a Covercraft "Noah" fabric cover on my '94 for 2 years with great results. Before the "Noah" I had an "Evolution 4" fabric cover by Covercraft. I do get some minor "rubbing" on a few edges but they buff out with no problem.

Bob

B

·
0 Posts
I use a covercraft on mine that I bought off the web. There are a lot of custom covers available on the web that are cut specifically to fit specific cars. They cost about $110-$200 (depending on the car), and, in my case, I had to wait for them to manufacture it. DON'T get one of those "generic" one-size-fits-all types, as they will damage the cars (since they don't fit well, anything that gets trapped underneath the cover can get trapped in the material and on a windy day the particles act like sandpaper). Mine was about $150.00.

Good Luck,

Bill Wagner

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You guys are awesome!! Thank you very much!

I'm going to Pep boys and check out the cover.

I also have to call my insurance company and find out if there is a difference if I store it in a garage or in a parking lot with a cover.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts