Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 872 Posts

·
glows green
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how many ppl would be interested in getting side mount ic's that comes with everything you need to bolt right in. on the 10th of july we will be testing them on edgavi's car and seeing how well they perform. these will be substantially lower than all the other upgrades out there. i am just trying to gauge interest right now and i believe that these will come in somewhere between 300-400 dollars.

i will try to get some flow #'s tonight to compare to stock.

·
VT Hokie Fan
2,371 Posts
hey

What about the internal volume? So far I'm goin with the DSM intercoolers, $50 a piece ~ not too difficult to bolt up. I know they come close to 200 ci internal, versus 133 for the stocks, and ~175 or so for the HKS upgrade.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
How big are they - That seems like a great price point, I take it you use your old piping?

I'd be interested - gotta see the numbers though - Someone wlse wrote on another thred - Propane Changes everything, so I would like to see a mix and match test too if possible.

Thanks, Rick

EDIT: Telionis is right about the DSM's being 200 ci and not being that difficult to setup - didn't know the HKS were only 175. What are Dynamic Racing's (IIRC they're angled too, so I'm unsure what they're ci are).

·
glows green
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
they are actually the dsm intercoolers. but they are not as easy to bolt up as you would think. 1st gen. there is cutting and welding that you need to do to make them fit right. we pretty much want to make it to where we ship it to you then you can put it on with very very little or no fabrication on your own. we worked on the drivers side ic today, and tomorrow we are going to try to tackle the pass. side.

its also a matter of the mounting brackets as well. as we started to fit them in my car we are seeing where there are trouble spots with just putting them in as they are.

david

·
glows green
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1st gen dsm intercoolers that are made to fit our cars

·
glows green
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
we want to after a while to try to weld some together and make an inexpensive front mount from the ic's as well. but that is a little ways off.

hopefully next friday we will be able to test them on edgavi's car at a 1/4 mile track.

i must say though that i thought this undertaking would be alot simpler than it is. as we are getting measurements and seeing what needs to go where, we are realizing that this is a harder job than we thought. but at the same time i dont' like the idea of paying over 1000 for sidemounts when we could make them for alot cheaper. yes anyone can do this. but we are taking the work out of it for you.

·
Three SI OG
383 Posts
I am interested

Great idea to make them bolt on! What about the idea of making a kit available so that we could get our own 1 gen dsm IC's and we weld on the new mounting brackets etc ourselves. Or is it too complicated in changing something with the pipes? Let me know what you think.

tx, Glenn

·
perpetual college student
3,903 Posts
I'd be in

·
glows green
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i had not thought of a kit but i don't think that would be very fesable unless you had access to welding equipment, because i know that one of the pipes is going to have to be cut and rewelded and the brackets have to be taken off and rewelded in other places. so far all we have worked on is the drivers side so i don't know if the passengers side will be easier or not.

·
Three SI OG
383 Posts
Well I do have access to one but it may be worth it to have you guys build it. Would it be any cheaper if we supplied you with the 1 gen dsm IC's? Or do you have a big supply? Are you doing any logging with these to see the MAS air temp changes? I would be willing to do that for a discount consideration. Also are you having to move the oil cooler?

Tx, Glenn

·
glows green
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
we do have access to a few ic's right now. we were waiting to see how many ppl wanted them so we could buy them in bulk so we could get a lower price.

if you wanted to ship your dsm ic's to us then i would think we could deduct the our cost of them from the total cost. but we also want to be able to look at each of them and make sure they are in good condition as well. we don't want to get a damaged ic and then convert it and send it back and it not work right. so if they are in good condition then we probably would.

i dont' think that edgavi has a datalogger, i don't know anyone around here that does, but he does have a SAFC so we were going to try to tune it, if it needs it, with that. i am not sure if he has anything to monitor MAS temps with but i could be wrong. i haven't seen his car in a while.

initially i would say no on moving the oil cooler but i am not sure yet. when we placed it in the car a few days ago without bolting it up it did not appear like the oil cooler would have to be relocated. but i have heard of others that have changed ic's and some have mentioned moving it. my oil cooler is disconnected right now and is just in there with the hoses that are attached to it. but in having to cut and relocate some of the piping coming out of the endtank there might be a need to relocate it.

david

·
Registered
163 Posts
hey man, I would be interested as soon as I get my 15g's (hopefully in a few weeks :D )...let me know how it turns out

·
glows green
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
fade, you need to come to our gathering this friday. we are going to razzoo's and then to ennis

http://www.3si.org/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=87684

i don't know when they will be ready as it has been raining alot here and i have not gotten to take off my bumper to fit them. we were shooting for the 10th, and still are, but i don't know if we will get them done by then. i will keep everyone posted on our progress.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thanks man, I will try to make it to Razoo's , but I will for sure make it too Ennis, I won't be running as my throwout bearing is sounding pretty bad now, but my car will be there and so will I:cool:

·
STOCK ??? HELL NO...!!!
3,475 Posts
Hey... I'm interested too...
I have a pair of DSM intercoolers planning on doing the same thing for weekes now... I'm just looking for some good local aluminum worker willing to do the job.
I check with a guy that has a machine shop, but he is charging too much per I/C. Some friends had told me about other guy that works better and cheaper, but I haven got the time to visit him yet.

One comment for Edgar in Spanish :

Oye Edgar que paso que no pasaste por aca...?? queria ensenarte el carro y que lo probaras.
La idea de los intercolers de Eclipse es buena, por que no me habias dicho nada ??
Bueno, te comunicas conmigo y hablamos de fiebre un rato.

Saludos,

El Boricua

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Hey David,

What would be the cost of the work if we were to ship you 1 or 2 DSM intercoolers (one is on my DSM and I have a Supra SMIC for that).

Thanks, Rick

1 - 20 of 872 Posts