Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
i'm sure you have heard this before(i went through the same thing trying to figure out anyway to increase ponies), but for all of your time and money (in my opinion) your better off just purchasing a twin turbo. trust me, i have an sl(soon to sell) and a vr4, and the vr4 drives like an entirely different car, absolutely amazing!(especially the all wheel drive!). there is no way to describe it when the twin turbos kick in and throw you back in your seat as the ass end of the car squats from all four grabbing the road as you take off like a sling shot, adrenalin rushing through your veins...just hold on for dear life and yell(i think the yelling helps me anyway)-- HOLLY FREAKIN SH*T!!!!!!--what a rush!

[This message has been edited by kcalvano (edited January 03, 2000).]

·
'94 3000GT original owner
1,609 Posts
Some guys have the luxury of being
financially able (or just fortunate
enough) to purchase/own a TT. Some
must be content with what they have.
There's nothing wrong in wanting to
get more performance out of your car,
whether it be an NA or TT. Don't
divide the owners up into groups
here....we are all 3si'ers and should
support our fellow members with their
ventures/dreams whatever they may be.
I say "go for it"!

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
This is very interesting, but it should be noted that this is a system for the SOHC, and seems to be a prototype.. Also to mention, this will not be a simple deal, it will be a little work to get it all dialed in and installed, and will be well over $5000.00 when done..Just my .02 cents worth.. Interesting though!! Chrysler sometimes does strange things.. I would like to see a AWD VR-4 powered Caravan!! It CAN be done!! Brad and I discussed this, right Brad?? teh heheh!! Any takers?? I want to build it!! Imagin pulling up to the line and pulling a 10 sec. 1/4 mile in a Caravan!!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I have to agree with Kevin on this one. $5000. is too much to do this, regardless of "financial constraints" You can buy a decent OEM AWD TT for $8500. Leaving you ahead of the game, only $3500. after the mods. I'm sure your base is worth more than that. Plus, that $5000. will do very little for the cars re-sale value. It is hard to get your moneys worth long term from a Frankenstein project, plus you run the risk of finding bugs in your project that no one will want to support because it is radical. I'd personallly rather beg/borrow/steal the additional $3500. and have both!

After all this, I say go for it, but not because it is an economical way to keep your sentimental baby, and have the best of both worlds. Do it because you have money to burn, and you like challenges and learning from ventures, regardless of how costly. This is not for the faint of heart, or a reliable, economical way to build a potent daily driver.

[This message has been edited by Diablo (edited January 04, 2000).]

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
boy did i come across the wrong way. i don't mean to divide anybody. i'm trying to support 3si'ers any way that i can. so i thought it would be nice to give my opinion on the matter. it just 'seems' that 'financially' brad would end up spending more money on this upgrade than would selling his n/a and purchasing a vr4. i purchased my 92 vr4 for $10,000. considering i have $8500 in my sl(which i am selling to pay for the vr4) and it's bone stock. i would hate to imagine how much money i would have to dump into it to jump up to vr4 performance. i think i would be well past $10,000. and even then, if the upgrade were a feasable option, you are lacking the all wheel drive and steering(which for me were very important aspects to the awsome handling of the vr4). i don't think there is anything wrong at all with owning a base mitsu or stealth or sl or es or tt... because they are all one of the best looking and handling sports cars in the world. if you want to mod your n/a, i say go for it too. just giving options and my $.02.
good luck,
kcalvanovr4

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My .02 cents as well ...

kcalvano is right: unless the cost is around $3000 or less, it just wouldn't be a viable option, or worth the hassle. The extra ponies you could net easily just by upgrading to a VR-4. BUT, if you plan on having the car for a long time (read: forever), then maybe I say go for it!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts