Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
What do yo think about these?
Do you think it would affect my amp's/sterio system? I herd that these things slow down the alternater but give better engine proformance. But I won't get one if I have to sacrafice my system.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
On a VR4 it is a waste of money ... IMHO. It gives you maybe 5-10HP ... which is nothing when a $50 bleeder valve gets you 50-75HP. There are so many better ways to spend $200 on a VR4 its not funny. For an N/A ... might just be worth it ... but you will not notice the power gain on a TT.

·
Head of Society of Bob
3,889 Posts
if you have a substantial sound system, try 3SX's lightened crank pulley. It's almost as light as the UDP, but same diameter as stock, so it doesn't slow your accessories.
<a href="http://www.3sxperformance.com/engine.asp">Link here</a>

btw, your sig is huge. you may want to cut out a few of those pics.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Re: some of the fastest

VR-4Maniac said:
some of the fastest 3/Ss run UDPs....there are some concerns around the lack of a harmonic balancer though
Yeah and we all got them because we are fucking idiots with too much money. I'm willing to bet it doesn't even take .1 seconds off of my 1/4 ... all that just to have my lights dim and my car stall every now and then?? Sorry ... I have better things to spend my money on.

·
No longer a 3/S owner.
3,402 Posts
feral

wow, that sucks, I didn't know you were having those problems, perhaps the 3SX pulley is the way to fly...it shouldn't slow down anything, its the same size, only lighter, but it won't quite have the same affect on performance.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Re: Re: some of the fastest

Feral said:
Yeah and we all got them because we are fucking idiots with too much money. I'm willing to bet it doesn't even take .1 seconds off of my 1/4 ... all that just to have my lights dim and my car stall every now and then?? Sorry ... I have better things to spend my money on.
If you dont like them, I'd be happy to trade you my stock pulleys and belts and some cash for your UDP's and belts :)

·
Captain Slow
1,117 Posts
For an NA- Definately worth it. It's probably one of the best bolt-on mods. I noticed the biggest icrease from the UDP than any other mod

For a vr4- I think it's worth it, but I would definately mod other areas first. I had my UDP from my sl that I put on my vr4. Couldn't really tell a big difference, but I'll take all the help I can get.

As far as stereo goes, I have a 600W amp pushing orions and it has plenty of power. No dimming lights or anything, but I guess others have had problems. IMO you shouldnt have a problem with the stereo unless its HUGE.

My $.02

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Re: Re: some of the fastest

Feral said:
I wouldn't go as far as saying that. There aren't that many mods for the n/a platform but this just so happens to be one of them. Excellent bang for the buck in my opinion. My lights don't dim and I have a 240w amp hooked up. I am sure you have better things to spend your money on, but after you have topped out your mod list, then what?

BTW, who here has had problems with thier harmonic balancer?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I admit for the N/A platform the UDP is probably a worthwhile purchase ... but for the TT boys ... there are simply too many things worth spending this money on like ...

MBC + boost guage + guage pod
1/2 of an EBC
1/2 of an aluminium flywheel
1/2 of an aftermarket clutch
75% of a S-AFC
6 450CC injectors + 50% of a S-AFC
EGT
Downpipe

And that's just a small list ... bottom line is for TT people the UDP is bottom of the barrel and really a silly upgrade. I really don't understand why I bought it ... I thought it made sense ... but looking back I realize now that it was really just a silly waste of money to put a shiny little bauble on my car.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I agree with Feral.

If I had to do it over again I would not of bothered with the mod. It was a pain in the ass to install and didn't give me much power compared to everything else I could do.

VR4 : No
N/A : Yes

·
14.1 @ 100mph N/A
5,289 Posts
I gained 1.5mph trap speed. Turn up your idle and your lights won't dim.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Kills Battery

Ive got UDP and it really messes up my stereo. My car barely stays above 12 V because of it. It does make a major performance difference, at least on my N/A....but it does make things charge slower.....im prolly gonna switch to the 3SX pulley....just my opinion.

·
3kgt Driver
3,505 Posts
3KGTCRUISER said:
For an NA- Definately worth it. It's probably one of the best bolt-on mods. I noticed the biggest icrease from the UDP than any other mod

For a vr4- I think it's worth it, but I would definately mod other areas first. I had my UDP from my sl that I put on my vr4. Couldn't really tell a big difference, but I'll take all the help I can get.

As far as stereo goes, I have a 600W amp pushing orions and it has plenty of power. No dimming lights or anything, but I guess others have had problems. IMO you shouldnt have a problem with the stereo unless its HUGE.

My $.02

I second that. Best mod for my NA..but I bet there's better mods out there for the TT's. But if you have alot of money, I say go for it!;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.