Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Wrenchmonkey #839
4,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been weighing parts all day with a calibrated scale used for inventory; it is accurate to within a 1/4 lb. My bathroom scale has surprising been accurate to within 1 lb with everything I have double checked.

All of the weights are in this Excel spreadsheet.
EDIT weight database has moved to here:

http://www.wrenchmonkey.com/Webpages/Weights.xls

The weights are divided into folders such as engine parts, transparts, cooling...

This spread sheet currently has 11 folders, Each folder groups parts
1. Engine Parts
2. Transmission Parts
3. Fuel System Parts
4. Intake system Parts
5. Exhaust System parts
6. Interior parts
7. Exterior parts
8. Suspension Parts
9. Brake Components
10. Wheels and tires
11. HVAC, Radiator, Air conditioning...

Each folder has 7 columns
1. Source, This is were I got the Weight from, JKM is Me;)
2. Part# this is the Mitsubishi part number, I need to add a LOT of these
3. Description of the part I weighed
4. Bathroom scale Weight. I don't always have access to a calibrated scale this column is for less accurate weights and weights that I did no measure myself
5. Calibrated Scale Weight. This is a scale accurate to within 1/4 lb
6. # on Car. This is how many of this part is on the car, 1 hood, 4 Cam Gears...
7. Total Weight this is weight times the number of parts on the car.

Please send me the data on any 3S part you have weighed. And I will add it to my database.

I have many more part that I have weighed that I have not entered yet. When I update this file I will save it with the date in the file name
032904Weights.xls will be the file saved on March 29,2004. This way you will know when it has been updated.

Currently there are only about 80 weights but this will be over 100 in the next few days.

Edit: I took pictures on almost every part on the scale if you are not sure what the description means I can email you a picture, unless I get bombed with requests;)

·
Aghhhh
9,731 Posts
Wow, that's excellent John. We've been needing something like this. :D

If I can help with the part numbers, let me know. I'm pretty handy with CAPS, and should have a 2004 update on-hand very soon.

·
What have we here
3,991 Posts
Awesome... truly a service to the 3/S community, thank you! :bigthumb:

·
Member #140 Aug, 1998
3,777 Posts
Like I said in the other post on CAS John, if you need a place to put this I would be happy to put it in my website with a link to your file to make it more permanent. That way when you update it, it would be current. I believe this might be something that might fit better into Jeff's site since my site is more on individual procedures and his is on information, but I would still be glad to put it in there if you don't have a place to put it yourself.

John

·
What have we here
3,991 Posts
Just a suggestion...

Would it be hard to order the list in accordance to weight? Such as heaviest items first, lightest items last? This would make it much easier to go through and make the most effective lightening procedures first...

Just a suggestion...

·
Gas Cyphoner
2,390 Posts
all weight reduction junkies bow to you today

·
What have we here
3,991 Posts
Mad Hatter said:
What's a roll stopper? :confused:
I call them brakes, but they do stop you from rolling :p

Seriously though, it is the thing they use in Subway to keep the rolls from sliding out of the oven...

EDIT: HEY!!! I just noticed the thread title... you stole my slogan John!!! :mad: ;) :D

·
Ninja Performance
42,336 Posts
John this is Ultimate!

I see you have a entry for 1st gen pop ups but no info. I weighed them on a pretty accurate digital scale and they are just a tick over 28 pounds for the pair. I have lexan covers to replace them on Project SL-T. ;)

Nice work! Keep updating with verified sources giving you info and it will be the end all source for weight!

·
Premium Member
1,666 Posts
:thumbsup: Good job, nice list!

<T> said:
Would it be hard to order the list in accordance to weight? Such as heaviest items first, lightest items last? This would make it much easier to go through and make the most effective lightening procedures first...
All that we are looking at is an Excel spreadsheet; it's all in how he publishes it.
Presently it's published without the sort controls and other features though if you wanted you could always just copy and paste it into a spreadsheet and sort it yourself external to the site.

And yes T, you got your slogan robbed!

·
What have we here
3,991 Posts
impulse said:
And yes T, you got your slogan robbed!
Gatecrasher said:
You need to sue him for gimmick infringement :D
That's it, see you in court John! I will take one of your TT's as out of court settlement though.

·
Wrenchmonkey #839
4,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A Roll stopper is what most people call and engine mount
In CAPS Mitsubishi calls it a "roll Stopper" I used that name to to prevent myself from getting it confused with the brackets the engine mounts bolt too.
From the picture you can see the drivers side steel bracket weighs 8.6lbs the 2nd Gen Aluminum one fits in the same location and only weighs 4.1lbs:)

The rear cargo cover, the roll up blind' only Weighs 5.25lbs

JRC or Jeff Lucius can copy this info if they like. I am going to keep it on my webpage so I can update it easily

<T> Show me a copyright;) Actually I would have to delete this thread to change the title. If I edit the title it will be correct in the thread but in the forum list it would keep the old title

·
What have we here
3,991 Posts
John Monnin said:
T Show me a copyright;) Actually I would have to delete this thread to change the title. If I edit the title it will be correct in the thread but in the forum list it would keep the old title
Ultimate™ Copyright ©1981-2004 T, Inc.
There ya go ;)

It's alright, you just add to the credibility... er um no this sucks, I want your Stealth TT damnit, no mercy!

·
Wrenchmonkey #839
4,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
JRC said:
Like I said in the other post on CAS John, if you need a place to put this I would be happy to put it in my website with a link to your file to make it more permanent. That way when you update it, it would be current. I believe this might be something that might fit better into Jeff's site since my site is more on individual procedures and his is on information, but I would still be glad to put it in there if you don't have a place to put it yourself.

John
That sounds great to me, People always go to you and Jeff's website first so information on my site is sometime not found. Especially since I haven'r Emailed Jeff to tell him I moved my website again. This time I bought my own domain name so I don't have to move my webpage everytime I chaneg internet providers.

·
Wrenchmonkey #839
4,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
<T> said:
Ultimate™ Copyright ©1981-2004 T, Inc.
There ya go ;)

It's alright, you just add to the credibility... er um no this sucks, I want your Stealth TT damnit, no mercy!
I'll just claim some one else logged in as me;)

I also added Mad Hatters and IPOs weights.

If you download the excell speadsheet instead of opening it you can manipulate the order anyway you like.

My ultimate goal is to rank weight savings by dollar/pound.
For Example:
A carbon fiber hood that cost $800 an saves 40 lbs. That $20/lbs
3SX upper control arms save 1 lbs but cost over $300 Thats $300/lb

When I worked at Peterbilt the magic number was $12/lb I think. That was the maximum that most bulk haulers would pay because if it was more expensive it took too long to make enough extra money hauling cargo to pay for the weight reduction.

·
Gas Cyphoner
2,390 Posts
92blackstealth said:
theres also a light battery that i like 30 pounds lighter i think, its under 100$ i believe. And all of the jack and plastic in the spare tire area weights about 10 lbs.
not to bust your balls on this easter holiday but Im pretty sure hes looking for exact weights on exact parts not guesses and estimates. The other weight reduction thread going is for ideas and guesses.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts