Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in san francisco bay area, which is only a few hours drive from the beautiful Sierra mountains, where one can find some excellent slopes during the winter. VR4 is my only car (but what a car!!!), how reasonable is it to put chains on for the snow driving?
any bay area locals used their 3/s's to drive up to tahoe?

by the way, snow tires are only an option if I can get some additional rims, cause it never snows here, just rains...

thanks!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I'm from the east bay, I plan on driving up do go snow boarding real soon. If you've been up in the sierras atleast once when a major storm has hit, you'd know you don't want to be up there. If conditions get to where 4wheel drive vehicles need chains, I'd wait for another weekend to go up.

You might be able to get cable chains though... I had some for my DSM, although they were'nt 245/45 17s

·
Premium Member
4,769 Posts
You could install them on the back, but unless you have chains that are just nylon straps around the sides, chains will have a problem fitting between the tire/wheel and strut on the front. Other than that, that's really the only issue as far as fitting.

What year is your VR4? If it's 91-93, get some stock 94+ SL wheels and get 16" snow tires. The 94+ SL wheels will fit the gen1 turbos - I've seen it no more than one occasion.

EricB

·
Jordan
3,031 Posts
SUTHNR said:
You could install them on the back, but unless you have chains that are just nylon straps around the sides, chains will have a problem fitting between the tire/wheel and strut on the front. Other than that, that's really the only issue as far as fitting.

What year is your VR4? If it's 91-93, get some stock 94+ SL wheels and get 16" snow tires. The 94+ SL wheels will fit the gen1 turbos - I've seen it no more than one occasion.

EricB
what about a 2nd gen VR-4? I'll probably have to drive my car in the snow this winter (hopefully not though) but what kind of wheels and tires should i get?

·
Favorite Food=E46 M3
334 Posts
someone mentioned this earlier. only put the "chains" on the rear wheels. If your car isnt lowered, you should have no problems but dont get the metal chains. get the kind with the plastic bars going across the tires which are held together with a rope material. the thing is, not all auto parts stores carry these. also try sporting goods stores where they sale ski racks and tow hitches.

·
Premium Member
4,769 Posts
KuJaX said:

what about a 2nd gen VR-4? I'll probably have to drive my car in the snow this winter (hopefully not though) but what kind of wheels and tires should i get?
When I lived in NH a few years ago, we had a gathering, later called the "Shoveling" because we were pushing everyone up my road... but Lorne Silkes showed up in his VR4 with 17" Michelin snow tires and they were great (don't remember which ones specifically). I drove it and it did great with them. He did have 2 sets of wheels, though, his 18" chromies for summer and 17" stockers with snows for winter. get a 225 width or even 215 as the narrower tire does a LOT better in snow than wider tires. Nokia makes awesome snow tires, and the Blizzacks are pretty popular in the north country.

EricB

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.