Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I've been checking out Tyson's selection at www.tyspeedperformance.com as well as getting some info from him. All of his exhaust systems are made out of aluminized steel. I asked him if this was a disadvantage compared to stainless. He told me not to worry about it, that it really doesn't make a difference, and presented some very convincing evidince to back up his point. I am sure he knows what he is talking about, but I just wanted to get some other opinions on the subject. Keep in mind the price of his downpipe is around 300, and his cat back exhausts are 349 for a single shot, and 449 for a double shot. So the price of aluminized steel is very attractive. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Not a whole lot. The stainless is good for show if you like that.The main thing is that you have to keep in mind the melting points for metal. Get it hard enough to withstand bumping and scraping too. The stronger the better but also maybe the heavier.

·
Favorite Food=E46 M3
334 Posts
from previous experience i will have to say its mostly a visual difference. i think when it comes to durability, they are very similar. I am also curious about seeing some actual pictures of their exhausts. their site is also missing come contact info. i was trying to get some more details about their downpipe. I like theirs best so far.

·
Booooossstt
6,788 Posts
Only thing that I honestly care about when buying exhaust parts is that they do NOT rust and aluminized does NOT rust! Who gives a crap about how the hell the exhaust looks are you gonna drive your car upside down? Put some chrome tips on the end and its good.... There is no need for getting any of this expensive crap such as polished test pipes/downpipes unless you are just aching to waste your money in which case I will give you my address!
sean

·
Registered
305 Posts
Aluminum will rust depending on how it was made. You can expect about 4 or 5 years from aluiminum exhaust(meineke uses). Stainless will definately last the lifetime of the car.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Tripledark is right, although I think 4-5 years for aluminized might be a little short but that will depend on where you live, how the winters are, whether or not they salt the roads, etc...
SS is without a doubt the way to go if you are looking for it to last, for example:
I owned an '84 Jaguar XJS the stock exhaust was all stainless steel, pipe, flanges, brackets except one item there was an aluminized steel "gasket" between the exhaust pipe and the resonator. All of the peices were either bolted together with flanges or slip fit and clamped. When I rebuilt the transmission I was expecting a nightmare job just getting the exhaust sytem off of this 16 year old car (at that time) to my delight all the bolts, clamps brackets were in perfect shape nothing frozen and everything came apart perfectly - except the aluminized gaskets they had all but disapeared.

Remember that aluminized steel is just mild steel that has been coated, and is affected by the constant heating and cooling of an exhaust system which will lead to corrosion of the base metal even though coated, and anytime you nick or scrape the pipe it will srape off the aluminized coating.
While stainless, which is mainly nickle and chromium, is more resistent to the effects of heat, chemicals and oxidization.

By the way I've been dealing with metals for over 25 years and while SS is generally more expensive to purchase, it will pay for itself by lastin and lasting. Why do you think that all new car manufacturers have switched to stainless as they have increased thier warranties over the last few years.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yes, thats right. I inquired at Meineke and another shop that uses aluminum. They would not guarantee aluminum over 3 years. Depending on the road conditions and climate will dictate the length it will last. Not that aluminum is the wrong way to go for some, but keep in mind that if you plan on keeping the car more than 5 years I would go with stainless.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Actually, aluminum gets what is commonly refered to as "white rust" or aluminum oxide. While the "rust" on mild or carbon steel is actually iron oxide.
Even stainless steel oxidizes but the oxidization process on stainless steel is what keeps it from coroding depending on the alloy composition and the environment.

I have been through hours and hours of corrosion engineering as well as metallurgy classes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts