Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know how else to phrase this. One of my F1 buddies asks me "So is one turbo for low rpm boost and the other high rpm?"

I of course was able to respond with a quickly thought out dumb look and thought that 2 minutes of searching would reveal the answer.

Since that didn't work, I thought I'd ask.

·
Registered
62 Posts
On this car, it's a parallel twin turbo setup. Both turbos are the same size, one per bank of the the engine (3 cylinders powering each turbo).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure if I understand - the turbos feed the y pipe, y pipe goes into the TB so yeah, each turbo is powered by each bank, hence front/rear.

What he was asking is if one turbo boosts provides lower rpm and the other higher to reduce lag. I don't think they do, but I can't find information one way or the other.

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
No, they both do the same work at that same time...they are not sequential, which is what he was asking.

·
Registered
62 Posts
No. They both operate at the same time, in the same way, in parallel. Both turbos are the same size, powered by the same amount of exhaust as each other at all times, producing the same amount of airflow/boost as each other, etc.

That is what a parallel turbo system is.

The kind of twin turbo system where each turbo is tuned for a different RPM range is called sequential. It involves one smaller and one larger turbo, both powered by ALL cylinders, and some fancy valves and wastegate controls to manage how each turbo contributes to overall boost under different conditions. The RX-7 and Supra have this type of twin turbo system.

·
Money pit owner.
2,600 Posts
some guy(s) have put 2 different size turbos on with a single front mount intercooler which I think is to avoid pressure differences at the intake (our stock car has 2 separate intercoolers). usually one turbo is stock size 9b the other is bit larger like a 13g or 15g. I'm not sure the point in doing that. :)

·
Registered
622 Posts
some guy(s) have put 2 different size turbos on with a single front mount intercooler which I think is to avoid pressure differences at the intake (our stock car has 2 separate intercoolers). usually one turbo is stock size 9b the other is bit larger like a 13g or 15g. I'm not sure the point in doing that. :)
What? I have never heard of this... Are you saying they switch to a sequential setup or they literally put different size turbos on each bank and our stock parallel setup and merge them? I don't see how that is not going to make things worse.

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,111 Posts
nono lol way back when... some people would do a 9b/13g combo or similar. The important part was to keep the same turbine, otherwise, the banks would be under much different pressure. The "benefit" was to lessen the infamous 9b drop-off, but this was typically only done when one turbo failed and/or delaying the eventual installation of the other.

·
TIRED OF WAITING
743 Posts
The RX-7 and Supra have this type of "turbo" system. [/QUOTE said:
Fixed

Clay

1 - 10 of 10 Posts