Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 382 Posts

·
Resident Street Racer
5,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yep...that's right everyone. I joined the 4gswap club even though I was completely satisfied with my 5XXwhp 16g setup. I was losing sleep at night knowing that I could make more power with 1 less turbo, 2 less cylinders and a whole liter less of displacement.

I kid I kid...:p

Lets rewind to 2017. It was a great year for me, finally got my red VR-4 all buttoned up from 2016's incident that totaled my black VR-4. It was a ton of work to get the red car going but it was well worth it. Eric convinced me to switch to AEM v2 and I'm glad I did. The failsafes are totally worth it and they saved me numerous times from over boosting and leaning out. I upgraded from my mercury silver Volk wheels to an even better finish on the wheels and also got some pimp corbeau seats.

my black VR-4 RIP :(

The replacment

I got a good amount of videos in as well in 2k17. Would've had a few more but ran into some late season fueling issues.

remote tuned by familyMAN..;)

There's lots more on my channel if anyone's interested in poking around. Anyways, in summary, life was good...or so I thought. Car was back together, running strong and looking good. I was content and happy with the car, didn't plan on making any other major changes other than tapping out the 16g's for all they had. But then 2 things happened. Braincrater, aka Brian, started posting videos of his single turbo VR-4 in his thread and sometime last year my cousin also purchased a single turbo MKIV Supra.

I had seen single turbo MKIV Supra videos on youtube and LOVED the sound. IMO one thing fast 3/s' lacked was the sound, relatively speaking. I was a big fan, 2jz + single setup sounded incredible. But when I got to drive the Supra and go for a ride in person, all the feelings of contentment and peacefulness inside my mind went to shit. Seeing it in videos was one thing. Listening to it and experiencing it in real life was a whole other ballgame. The problem was I was a 3000GT fanboi and I wasn't going to jump ship.

Enter Brian's VR-4.

That was the solution I was looking for. It was my new short-term goal in life, to get that sound, and that is how my single turbo journey began.

I'll post more updates shortly.

·
Resident Street Racer
5,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
It was back in June/July of 2017 that I decided in my mind that I was going single. Shortly thereafter things started moving pretty quickly. Originally the plan was to purchase an IPS single kit, I quickly realized coming across that kit would be a waiting game with lots of luck involved. So that plan was scrapped and I decided to get a kit from IMR and have them convert their twin kit to accommodate a single. I was initially after a kit that placed the turbo in front of the transmission. That way I could avoid all the common pitfalls of single turbo 3s cars...shifter cables melting, relocating the fuse box, having to sheath the entire wiring harness in the passenger side of the engine bay, etc...but later on I realized that equal length headers would be crucial in the sound of the car...(thanks donniekak) I didn't want to go thru the headache of doing all the work only to realize in the end that the goal wouldn't be achieved. So I was open to any 'good' single kit that I could find. With Brian's help, I was able to find what I was after.

So before I pulled the trigger on a new kit, I wanted to have the big items in my current setup accounted for. Initially the plan was to sell the turbo kit only but I ended up selling the turbo kit, my ported heads and my shortblock. Shortly thereafter I sold the FMIC kit, injectors, downpipe, intake pipes, etc..everything in my engine bay was tentatively sold aside from my clutch/trans. The reason was because I ended up finding this:

But it came with a stipulation. The car had a spun bearing. Overall the car was a gutted tincan, assembled nearly a decade ago and never really got to see the light of day, like most 3s big builds unfortunately. Worst of all, it was a hackjob. It ran, sure, but with the way it was put together, it wouldn't have lasted too long even if it would have made a few passes down the strip. It had an older PTE 6765 which would was making 7-800whp on Supra's back in 2010, so had this car been sorted out, it would have had a good shot at being in the top 10 maybe top 5 fastest 3s list, but that never happened. And the guy I bought it from didn't have the best luck with the 3s platform so he called it quits after it spun a bearing while attempting to dyno tune the car.

On the plus side, the car had some good custom bits and pieces, it had a quality custom made turbo kit(Brian approved:bigok:), the elusive no-runner intake manifold and a crazy overkill fuel system. So I ended up buying the car, selling the short block but keeping the heads(+1mm OS valves and headlift fixed) and keeping the single kit obviously. This brings us to stripping the stealth of its parts.

and finally yanked out...

When I purchased my red car, it came with the original blown 70k motor. I decided now was the time to build my spare motor which is the reason why I sold the engine that was in my car. Nothing crazy over the top though, still 3.0 with pistons, aluminum rods, stock crank and it was a 4 bolt. Fresh oil pump and gaskets. Built by donniekak. I was going to reuse my webcam 150 cams from before.

·
One fix at a time
7,711 Posts
At least you’re already done with the build so we don’t have to wait lol. I agree the sound is pretty amazing. It makes working on the car so much easier once you have a single setup installed.

I think I’m about to a point where I’ll be changing setups soon. I had sold a full 3.1L built billet 20T setup a few years ago to a somewhat local wanting some corn power. I kept most of the $13k, went more basic closer to stock, ended up back in some 20Ts again, and now will be going bigger next year. I can finally fabricate everything myself so even though I’m limited on time it makes things easier.

·
Resident Street Racer
5,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Get to it nomie! I know you got some good vids to fix my itch.
thanks for dropping in! I'm hoping to not disappoint.

Subscribed!!! This should be good!
Thanks bud

At least you’re already done with the build so we don’t have to wait lol. I agree the sound is pretty amazing. It makes working on the car so much easier once you have a single setup installed.

I think I’m about to a point where I’ll be changing setups soon. I had sold a full 3.1L built billet 20T setup a few years ago to a somewhat local wanting some corn power. I kept most of the $13k, went more basic closer to stock, ended up back in some 20Ts again, and now will be going bigger next year. I can finally fabricate everything myself so even though I’m limited on time it makes things easier.
done? Is that such a thing as ever being done? :D I should point out, my whole motivation for this build was for the sound and sound alone. Sure my car fully pegged to the limit will make a bit more than the 16g's would have made, but it was never about making more power. I thought I had the best sound setup possible till I heard Brian's car. Truthfully though I heard single 6g72 setups before too but it wasnt till his car that performed as well as it sounded. Single setups had a bit of a stigma around them for being inefficient and underperforming.

There is a certain white dr750 car that I have some beef with...:pedobear: however I wasn't able to get my car sorted in time to make it to the shootout. That battle is upcoming though..

·
The dark shall be with us
7,297 Posts
I was about to drive to Chicago to slap you when you said 4g.. Lol nice set up. Aluminum rods? Would love to see how much longer the bearings and crank can last with aluminum rods. Sometimes I get the idea to put a aluminum 3L with BMW bearings on my gutter car and see how much power it can handle but I decided not to since I always get side tracked. Lol

·
Resident Street Racer
5,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wouldn't happen to be on chrome wheels eh?
good guess..;)

I was about to drive to Chicago to slap you when you said 4g.. Lol nice set up. Aluminum rods? Would love to see how much longer the bearings and crank can last with aluminum rods. Sometimes I get the idea to put a aluminum 3L with BMW bearings on my gutter car and see how much power it can handle but I decided not to since I always get side tracked. Lol
The official president of club 6g72 checking in!! I hope I didn't upset you too much..:D Yeah FFWD aluminum rods that MeatMissle helped to bring into production, he ended up going 4gswap and I picked his rods up a few yrs ago. I was the first to buy em, but Brian was the first to run them. He's actually running the same set in his motor. Mine wont see more than 700whp though.

:eek:rly3:

Bring your 4gswap on!!!!

Oh wait, this is a much cooler build than a 4gswap:p
Should make for a great video when 2 DIY built 3/s go at it! We got till next year to hype it up and make it the race of the year...i wouldn't be surprised if we end up making a sticky for it...:muahaha: Once mines gets properly buttoned up, I'll start a marketing campaing on facebook and 3si for 'the race'.

Car looks and sounds great!
Thanks buddy!

·
One fix at a time
7,711 Posts
done? Is that such a thing as ever being done? :D I should point out, my whole motivation for this build was for the sound and sound alone. Sure my car fully pegged to the limit will make a bit more than the 16g's would have made, but it was never about making more power. I thought I had the best sound setup possible till I heard Brian's car. Truthfully though I heard single 6g72 setups before too but it wasnt till his car that performed as well as it sounded. Single setups had a bit of a stigma around them for being inefficient and underperforming.

There is a certain white dr750 car that I have some beef with...:pedobear: however I wasn't able to get my car sorted in time to make it to the shootout. That battle is upcoming though..
Never done lol. It's always a love/hate relationship and something draws us back in that have a soft spot for them. I'm on #6 haha.

I was kind of surprised you were tooling around at low boost/lower power level but then again it can be a huge amount of work, time, and parts to get things sorted once you start turning it up. I always thought the singles sounded unique and absolutely loved the single Supras.

Brian's car has a serious amount of time and work into his car to get it sorted. It seems to be running really well and that definitely takes dedication. It's interesting to see all the comments about his car from people that either loved them or had a stigma that they were unreliable, couldn't make power, etc.

·
Resident Street Racer
5,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
So moving along...Once the donor motor was yanked out of the stealth, I went ahead and disassembled it and sent the heads along with my OEM shortblock to Ohio for the KAK treatment :D

I was pretty excited to see what this thing could do...for years people have talked about properly bolting a short/no-runner intake with aftermarket cams to see a dyno curve on a 3s where power doesn't start to fall off after 6000rpms.

at one time I owned both a 3kgt and stealth!

So here was the plan of attack. Now that I had the motor and turbo and fuel kit out of the black car, I needed to start gutting my red car. Round 2 of work...at this point, it was november in chicago and we had a brutal frigid winter last winter. Normally I would do a project like this in my shop on the lift, however due to circumstances, I ended up doing this portion of the work in the garage behind my new residence. The only thing it had in it was electrical outlets and that was it. Worst of all we hadn't even moved into this place yet so every time I needed to wrench on the car, id have to drive over to this place. Also since we were in the beginning phases to move into that place there was a whole bunch of crap that we stuffed inside the garage prior to the actual move and I had not anticipated doing this work in my garage so it was a major PITA. Lack of space, no air tools, no tools period. I brought over my 240 piece craftsman miniature toolbox, purchased a jack and stands and got to work for a few days until I realized there was no way in hell I was gonna survive a winter in this garage. It was frigid. So I ended up picking up a torpedo, gloves, dual layers of jackets and then got to work. I was commited and it was gonna get done one way or another.

chipping away at it..

Took a few days of an hour here and there and I finally yanked the old powerplant out.

This setup served me good.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,065 Posts
Man, you got me excited... thought we were going to make your car fast!

Can’t wait to see it complete and sorted. Should do what you want for spool, power and sound.

We should meet halfway in Indy sometime. Maybe streetcar takeover? It’s about halfway for Garrett too.

·
Resident Street Racer
5,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
and now it was barren. There was a lot of work ahead to do, I had an idea but really didn't understand how much work was ahead of me till I had the new motor in the bay.

Shortblock that came out of the car was disassembled and sold.

So my new motor was being built and I had a whole list of things to do before dropping in the new motor. Here is a quick sampling of the list of things I had to do. I created a list and kept crossing stuff out till I was able to finally finish it. Its one of the ways which kept me sane and on track knowing that the list was getting smaller and I was getting closer to my end goal. Keep in mind this is just a sample of my list. There was a whole lot more work involved..

-remove cruise-DONE
-remove ac-DONE
-unbolt downpipe-DONE
-remove fuel filter-DONE
-thermal wrap shifter cables-DONE
-install swift springs-50%
-run AN fuel lines-DONE
-install new throttle cable-DONE
-wrap headers-DONE
-install 99 reservoir-DONE
-clean engine bay-DONE
-relocate + mount oil cooler-DONE
-oil feed tap-DONE
-turbo blanket ptp-ordered
-egt bung cap
-relocate wideband o2
-install IMR Fuelhat
-wire in new tps sensor
-thermal wrap wiring
-order new aeromotive fuel filter
-injector kit
-priming nipple
-cas harness
-cut existing fusebox mounting
-extend wires on fusebox
-modify ptu bracket
-fix radiator
-cut intercooler pipe and order coupler
-bleed clutch + SS line + wrap
-delete secondary o2 wires
-extend tps sensor wire harness
-extend iac wire harness
-extend reverse sensor harness
-extend speed sensor harness
-extend IAT wires
-cas harness
-remove rubber elbow on intake
-turbo outlet pipe modify
-turbo coldside pipe +bov flange + iat bung
-coolant neck modify for lower hose
-downpipe and external wg pipe merge
-bracket for fusebox
-bracket for shifter cables
-turbo support bracket reinforce

So unfortunately as you probably saw above, I had to remove AC and cruise for the new setup. I have something planned for the future though..I like my AC and plan to get it back in there.

and if you haven't figured it out yet, doing a single setup properly is a crap-ton of work. Its funny on facebook you see so many fanboys that are going single because of brians car, i wish them the best of luck. Unfortunately I don't see most of them ending well.

Fuel cell + lines removed from the donor car. The cell was not staying but the lines were.

Purchased about 50 foot of name brand quality wrap. Heathshield products. The ebay stuff sucks, discolors and starts tearing up. Buy name brand wrap.
Here is during the wrapping process...

This was exciting to look at and looks cool. Took me a solid day to do both manifolds and the crossover pipe. It was a lot of work...didn't think it would take that long but I wanted to make sure it was on there super tight and wouldn't come loose.

By the time I had finished wrapping everything, PTE sent my package back from being rebuilt.

And I tore right into it...

One thing that I had sacrificed was ride quality for looks. No more. In the quest to have a slammed car, combined with a few hundred lbs of weight reduction I was never satisfied with the ride quality. It wasn't terrible but it was made worse by shitty chicago roads. So this winter I had decided it was time to upgrade, so I purchased a new set of coilover springs made by swift. 8k/8k progressive linear springs. These should ride much nicer with my setup. And im going to do the responsible adult thing and raise the car up with a new tire setup. The uncentered rear wheel in the arch always bugged the hell out of me.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,065 Posts
Curious how those swift springs work. The FA stock springs in your car were worlds better than the megan.

·
Resident Street Racer
5,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Man, you got me excited... thought we were going to make your car fast!

Can’t wait to see it complete and sorted. Should do what you want for spool, power and sound.

We should meet halfway in Indy sometime. Maybe streetcar takeover? It’s about halfway for Garrett too.
bahaha...I thought you'd get a kick out of the thread title. You've been telling me forever to meet up, I owe it to you and I'll try to definitely come down to one of these events you're talking about...i mean hell, you're just across the border.

Curious how those swift springs work. The FA stock springs in your car were worlds better than the megan.
It rides nicer than before thats for sure. I like em. Haven't put too many real miles on it yet, the thing is with that 4" smokestack staring at my face, its hard to get a good idea of everything else. Its so.damn.loud.!!!

Made edits to previous posts above.

·
One fix at a time
7,711 Posts
Single setups take way more work to sort out then twins so that's what makes Brian's impressive that he was determined enough to go that far.

The manifold kit you've got looks pretty quality. I thought about header wrap and then started looking into heatshield header armor. You can get a roll for not too bad of a price from Summit and use safety wire or metal ties like you have.

·
Resident Street Racer
5,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Single setups take way more work to sort out then twins so that's what makes Brian's impressive that he was determined enough to go that far.

The manifold kit you've got looks pretty quality. I thought about header wrap and then started looking into heatshield header armor. You can get a roll for not too bad of a price from Summit and use safety wire or metal ties like you have.
yeah its working decent so far, however I have to be extrememly careful with pouring oil into the valve cover or just any top end leaks in general. any seepage onto the wrap and it will smell and smoke and potentially be a fire hazard. Next time I may try the header blanket route.

and yeah, agreed on the sorting out part. If everything is not working in harmony, it can get frustrating really really quick.

1 - 20 of 382 Posts