Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably an easy question for you Geeks out there. My '91 TT does not have boost from the turbos. Not sure why. They are turning by hand. Not sure if the exhaust is getting to them. If you know a easy way to check them out, let me know. Thanks p.s. Car has almost 200000 miles on it.

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,728 Posts
All original exhaust, including cats and pre-cats?
Possible that either the pre-s or the main cat is clogged (or all 3)....

Have you done any work in the engine bay lately (like right before you started noticing this?
Mods?

Bob.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Cat is gone. I had the flexible exhaust joint changed because it had a hole in it. The shop that did the work swapped out the Cat with a glass pack. I took the glass pack off and put in a straight pipe in its place. Don't know if the shop that did the work messed anything up. I can't see anything obvious...vacuum lines, wastegate linkage etc,

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,728 Posts
So, you're telling me the car boosted fine before you had the exhaust work done, and now it does not?
You say they replaced a flex section? Was it in the down pipe? How did they replace it?

If they were doing work under the car, I can't think of any reason (other than the screwed something up with the exhaust) that you would mysteriously lose boost.
Can you feel a decent amount of airflow coming from the exhaust? Have someone gently accelerate and see if the airflow gets stronger?

Strange.

Bob.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The part they replaced is the metal flexible part of the exhaust that lets the engine move with the torque. The part connects the exhaust manifolds to the exhaust pipe system. I am getting plenty of exhaust thru the system...no back pressure. That is why I took the glass pack out and put in the straight pipe. I need to double check the wastegates to make sure they are not staying opened. To answered the other question about the boost. When the turbos were working, it would put you back in you seat. The boost gauge is not going anywhere close to where it would go up to.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Sorry for such a vague response on my part. Maybe someone drove the car hard and you have a boost leak? Were you there when they did the work? You really need an aftermarket boost gauge to know whats going on, thats why I am wondering how you know they are not working. Is the car driving differently? Whats it doing?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have had the car since new. I was not there during the work. I was farmed out my a mechanic friend, Car drives fine just not that extra ZOOOOM when the turbos kick in. Have the car apart now and will do more checking.

·
Registered
1991 VR4
902 Posts
Step 1: Pressure test

Step 2: Install boost gauge

1 - 10 of 10 Posts