Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than the fuel pump itself, are there any other differences between a Turbo and a Non-Turbo Fuel Pump Sending unit? I am in need of a new one and most of the ones available seem to be non turbo. Obviously I would transfer over my Fuel pump. Is the physical fuel hanger and electronics piece the same?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Yes there are differences other than pump itself. See picture below, you’ll notice NA pump hanger (on right) has longer hard pipe to accommodate shorter pump. That means your longer Turbo pump will not fit without some modifications to hanger assembly.
pump hanger differences.jpg

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK I'm going to be modifying the hanger anyway replacing the hard pipe with custom bulkhead - AN fittings etc so I guess the important question is, are the electronics (fuel pump wiring, low fuel warning light and fuel level float) the same?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
.......so I guess the important question is, are the electronics (fuel pump wiring, low fuel warning light and fuel level float) the same?
Don’t know for sure. Best I can tell looking at electrical schematics is all years of connectors appear the same, BUT it appears wiring to couple of pins changed in ’94. So I would ASSUME that an NA hanger from ’95 and up would be wired the same (plug & play).:unsure:

·
Premium Member
6,827 Posts
OK I'm going to be modifying the hanger anyway replacing the hard pipe with custom bulkhead - AN fittings etc so I guess the important question is, are the electronics (fuel pump wiring, low fuel warning light and fuel level float) the same?
Yes, if you're modifying the fuel feed, and don't need stock pump fitment, the N/A hanger will work just fine.

·
Curmudgeon
5,398 Posts
Two other differences to keep in mind are the wire connections to the pump (the N/A pump uses a connector, the Turbo pump uses ring terminals), and the "L" shaped bracket that holds the bottom of the pump. The Turbo bracket and rubber mount is bigger, to accommodate the larger pump.
Both of these should be minor, you can use the bracket off the old hanger and put your own ring terminals on the wires.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great thank you for the responses.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts