Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

How long has your turbo lasted?

• Turbo rebuilt before 70k

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Turbo rebuilt before 100k

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Turbo rebuilt before 150k

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Never had it rebuilt (Please list miles)

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • I have a N/A

Votes: 5 20.8%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Cops Love Me
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know with some other cars the turbo's need to be rebuilt by 100k in most cases, but I've heard relatively little about any turbo rebuilds, is it just when ours go bad we all upgrade? :D or are they just rock solid?

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
Never had mine rebuilt. 31k miles.

·
Cops Love Me
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Come on more people vote!!!

I'm buying a RT/TT with 64k on it. I'm kinda worried about the turbos though, and I want to stock pile a little cash so i need to know when I should have it by... Just vote or vote no.

·
Mod O' Day Pron
4,021 Posts
You can buy a set of stock turbos for +/- $300 If I were you, I would worry more about wether or not it's had its 60k tune. Judging from the handful of TN 3S people, you should have a good 40k miles left on those, maybe more.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Never rebuilt, 89k. They give me no trouble whatsoever, I have no oil in any of my intercooler pipes.

Like Sean Johnson said, I would worry about other things besides the turbos. You are MUCH more likely to have your transmission go out, or the transfer case, or spin a rod bearing. With any of these you're talking about several thousand dollars to repair. If you have problems with your turbos, you can have them rebuilt for $275 apiece. Hell, you could wind up paying $275 apiece on tires, just to put it in perspective.

·
Registered
752 Posts
122,000 miles never been off the car. (that's what I've been told and from the looks of surrounding parts I believe it)
No oil in intake or IC piping. I believe the previous owner babied this car. It had over 50,000 miles in the first 2 years it was registered and when I bought it, a year ago, it had 112,000 on the odometer.
I'll probably upgrade them next year.

·
Registered
310 Posts
113K miles. Never had a problem with them.

·
Cops Love Me
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
60k is done. I know the tranny will need to be fixed before 100k in most situations. I thought the turbos would be more expensive to fix.

Thanks for the response.

·
Mod O' Day Pron
4,021 Posts
My tranny & t-case are orig with 134,000 miles on them. Hell, I'm going racing this weekend. These cars are a little sterdier than people give credit. You'll be good to go ;)

Watch, I'm come on the board Monday to say I blew my tranny at the track, LOL! Knock-On-Wood!

·
Like a Rat out of Water
2,976 Posts
Just bought my car, but the turbos pull hard and don't smoke whatsoever. 97K miles on the car and original turbos.

I know they pull like they should because I've ridden in a 98 and 99 VR-4 before and my car pulls just like those do! =)

-Bat

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
83K and still counting

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.