Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a promotion so I'm looking to REALLY dump some money into my car. I've finally recovered from paying all $34k+ cash for it brand-new back in 97. (Yes, it took four years. No, it wasn't a loan or financing. Yes, it was ALL cash. That's why I didn't get a VR4.)

So I was thinking, either:

1. Boost, OR
2. New shoes and a 4-corner slam

I'm looking to either turbo- or supercharge the car, however I don't want an engine swap, I want to add to the original engine. It just turned 60k.

OR I want to get 18s up front and 19s or 20s out back, and coilovers (prob'ly Tein, I haven't seen anything else, unless I can mod some Eclipse coilovers). The only thing I've done suspension-wise is switch to lower-aspect-ratio tires up front to get a little better acceleration.

What's the concensus out there? Boost, or wheels and a drop? Help me out here, guys!

·
Registered
281 Posts
VR4

I would trade it in for a late model VR4 if I were you. If you dont want to do that, then I would definetly add the HP and not worry about the wheels as much. Nevertheless, do what makes you happy. You'll be driving it, not us.

·
I can't read the rules
1,112 Posts
My advice would also be to trade it in for a late model VR4. It would probly be cheaper or the same price to get a quality VR4 as to turbo the SL. And the VR4 offer AWD.

And about the rims size .. i m not sure but i remember hearing a long time ago that larger rear wheel (19" or 20") and smaller front wheel (17" or 18") will mess up the drive balance of the car or sumthing like that because of the weight .. not sure .. i'll check

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
woa a SL brand new is $34k?? hehe damn these cars are more valuable than i thought.

these guys are right in a sense that that money going towards the turbo would be a waste and headache b/c you will see non-of it back on the resale of the car nor would the task be easy. plus its just as time consuming.

but...switching to a vr4 which also means you have to give up your car that you've owned and cared for for 60k and throwing that away and buy a used, "possibly" abused, vr4 that can have god knows what problem. then you might kick yourself later down the line ;). plus normal people can't tell the difference, you don't get that look from friends of "oh, new car?" :p for the money spent

so in conclusion. i say use that money to buy a big sony TV and a home theather system :D

V

·
0 Posts
If I were you,I would add boost to the car.For me,power is very
important,I care less about the looks.Go with BOOST man...;)
With an SL weighted less then a VR-4 and being FWD,your
car would be seriously dangerous from a highspeed roll.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
VR4-Fans said:
If I were you,I would add boost to the car.For me,power is very
important,I care less about the looks.Go with BOOST man...;)
With an SL weighted less then a VR-4 and being FWD,your
car would be seriously dangerous from a highspeed roll.
But would suck unmeasurably from a stop, or in any kind of weather....
Also, don't change rim sizes.. its same size all the way around or its pointless.... you don't drive a trike, so don't go little big wheel.
Buy a vr4....
Unlike Supra's or Rx7's etc... you will not get the full benefit from adding forced induction.. you will basically be wasting for what could have been..

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have an SL!

It's not an SL, it's just the base model. Which makes it even lighter and tighter! No sunroof and no options!

I saw some 275/xx-20 tires for real cheap, something like $180 each. So I figured I could go all out if I do get wheels! But I doubt 20s could go up front, so I figure 18s or 19s. I kinda want to do 18s 'cuz tires would be hella cheaper. For example, I got some Pirelli P-Zeros from a hookup for $50 apiece, at 225/40-18s! Plus, if I dump the car, I expect greater tire wear up front, even with a "perfect" alignment.

What's wrong with a little boost?! I thought more people would be more supportive of a boosted base! C'mon, guys! I drove a supercharged FWD for three years (Corrado G60)! By the time I sold it, my little VW was cranking out 215+ hp at the crank, no suspension mods except for some el cheapo springs and 17s with ricer 205/40 tires! Torque steer FROM HELL, but DAMN that was a fun car! I kinda figure the same thing for a boosted 3k, 'cept since I can fit more tire up front maybe I can get away with a little more power!

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Everybody keeps saying buy a vr-4 but if you read about the one guy who added a turbo to his car he seems pretty happy. Of course it isnt going to launch like an awd car but it should launch good enough. Look at some of the SL and RT track times if you learn how to drive your car you should be fine. Also I agree on the same size all the way around. Especially since it is fwd.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Be different and don't buy a VR4. Be one of few people with a forced induction non VR4. I also like the idea of 19" in back and 18" in front. It's something different, and would look cool. All the high tech Street Rods do that. I don't see how it would affect the driveline either. Maybe if it was all wheel drive, but I'm not sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts