Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question. How long should I let my car idle before I turn it off? For instance... Say I've been out driving and got agressive at 2 or 3 lights. What should I do as far as the best thing for the turbos?
Thanks.

Charlie

·
It's like that
2,759 Posts
I don't know specifics, but 2-3 minutes is probably good for most drives... If you go on a multiple hour trip, let it sit longer. Or, you could just invest in a turbo timer - the "hey man, your car is on" at parking lots, then it shutting off is sweet.

·
465awhp
1,632 Posts
I got that question all the time. They keep on asking y ur car is stills on. Or ur engine has problem cause it turns off by itself:) . I have to explain about the turbo timer, and replies are WOW.

Black94VR4

·
chunsangp
3,556 Posts
It's all depends on how you drive. Why don't ya invest turbo timer? They cost ya only about $100-$150. It's worth it though.
U don't want to wait in the car while cool down:D

·
Registered
275 Posts
Time

It all depends on the amount of time and how hard you are pushing the turbos.

If you are in the city (STOP and GO), a one minute cool down is sufficient (according to the manufacturer's specs)
If you on a long highway trip (2000-2700rpm) for at least half an hour, allow to idle at least 3-4 minutes
Racing from light to light ~ 2 min

Remember: coming from a highway trip into the city that idling at the damn stop lights will cool the turbos as well so guage your time accordingly

D

·
Registered
557 Posts
Re: Time

Deman said:

If you on a long highway trip (2000-2700rpm) for at least half an hour,
D
at that rpm you aren't really spooling up the turbo's so personally 1/2 hour is way long,5-10 min should be good,don't forget on highway's you get alot of cooling from "forced air".

·
It's like that
2,759 Posts
Chuck, he said "If you on a long highway trip (2000-2700rpm) for at least half an hour, allow to idle at least 3-4 minutes"... hehe :)

He was putting the times after the activities.

·
Registered
557 Posts
shit your right kingnothing,i've been up for 24 hrs what ya expect:D

·
Registered
275 Posts
Ya

Here I'll type it out a little easier for ya...he he he

If you will be travelling for an extended AND continued(meaning non-stop and go) period of time, for example half of an hour, at an rpm that will spool the turbos even at low boost (2000-2700 rpm) YOU should allow the turbos to cool down. For example; idle the engine for 2-4 minutes.
Even at low boost the turbos are spinning. Even though extreme boost is not evident (especially at highway speeds).

Now remember:
Air cooling will NOT cool the turbos. It will only lower the temp. of the air entering the engine (hence intercoolers). The turbos are oil cooled (a simple heat exchange between the bearings and the oil). The bearings are cooled by the engine oil NOT the incoming air...think about it

D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts