Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as we all know...When WOT our cars go into RICH as HELL mode. According to my Auto meter A/F gauge during boost conditions and WOT no matter the RPM my car is in the middle to the top of the rich scale.

As we also know...When running in Very Rich condition you are losing HP. Leaning out will taost the motor. BUT getting her to run in the Stoich range will net the most power without engine damage.

My question is...Running 14psi (still fact fuel system) on all factory fuel parts, can I use my HKS Super AFR (not yet installed) to lean out the mixture and get her in the Stoich range?

·
Registered
8,762 Posts
If you run a turbo motor at WOT with decent boost in the Stoichiometric range you will toast the motor. NA engines make more power when tuned to stoich. You'll make more power with a turbo motor if you run it rich and add the "appropriate" amount of boost. The "appropriate" amount of boost is so low when a turbo motor is run at stoich that you'll make much less power.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I guess thats kind of right. Running rich only helps you prevent detonation. If you lean out the fuel you'll need a bigger I/C or alky injection. You can play with the AFR as long as you keep an eye on your EGT temps as well as the A/F mixture. Keep her cool and not to lean and you should have no problems.

WD

·
Got Boost?
4,242 Posts
redgtvr4 - As I posted in your other thread, DO NOT use the Autometer A/F gauge as a way to judge your A/F mixture at WOT. You should be around ~.96v at WOT I do believe and the Autometer gauge (unless adjusted for WOT use only) is not the tool that you want to use. (Unless you want to make sure that it stays on the last - perhaps the 2nd to last - green LED to the far right). My guess is that you are runnig at around .75-.78v from what you have said (in the other thread). Not a good mixture at WOT....not good at all.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guess what I need is an EGT meter...Anyone recomend a good but not too expensive one!? It's worth the insurance....Especially on a new motor!!

·
Got Boost?
4,242 Posts
redgtvr4 said:
Guess what I need is an EGT meter...Anyone recomend a good but not too expensive one!? It's worth the insurance....Especially on a new motor!!
You *technically* need two (one for each bank), but you can get by if you just measure on your rearbank (closest to the firewall) since that is the one that usually goes 'kaboom' first.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so, with a normal (not fixed for WOT) Auto meter A/F Gauge I should just let her run on the next to the last led!?

·
Got Boost?
4,242 Posts

·
The Wizard Of Aaahhhhh's
1,596 Posts
Plus at WOT, the ECU is in open loop. It don't give a damn what the O² sensor voltage is, it's using pre-programmed fuel maps to control air/fuel.

Chris

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
KD4PWH said:
Plus at WOT, the ECU is in open loop. It don't give a damn what the O² sensor voltage is, it's using pre-programmed fuel maps to control air/fuel.

Chris
the ecu don't care what the 02 sensor is reading at WOT but the O2 sensor is still giving correct readings...

·
The Wizard Of Aaahhhhh's
1,596 Posts
redgtvr4 said:

the ecu don't care what the 02 sensor is reading at WOT but the O2 sensor is still giving correct readings...
True, but a stock autometer A/F gauge will not be correct under WOT. A datalogger would be the reliable tool to tune by.

Chris

1 - 11 of 11 Posts