Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok f*** 2000 dollars for something i can do myself, after i helped my friend last night on his car i sat down next to my stealth doors for a couple hours thinking...I took pictures and while i been at work i started to make my own hinges ect for lambo doors. I am going to try and make my own on my passanger door first. I think i figured out a way to do it without cutting into finder...If it works i'll post a how to. Later and wish me luck

·
Lord of Eagle's Reach
1,511 Posts
finally, someone with more than a mouth! go for it

if $2000 is too much for you to spend for someone else's work, then make your own. you pay through the nose in this world if you're lazy.

Matt

·
Ex-Owner
1,284 Posts
more power to ya brotha... more power to ya

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, Mine probably wont be as nice, but with door closed it will look good, no hurting ur finders ect. the only problem is that when u goto close it u will have to push a button next to the arm that pushs out door....oh well lol

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
good luck, are you a mechanical engineer? do you have access to a lot of really expensive equipment that you need to fabricate parts like this? if either of these answers are no, i would think twice about this project. at best you would make some that lasted for aboult a week before they fell off. also the other guy making them might sue the hell out of you if you try to sell them. but as i said, if you think you can pull it off, good luck and i would give you a lot of respect if you did.

·
Member 0564
1,915 Posts
there is noway the other guy can sue him for anything as long as he never saw his work or knows how he did it. I don't think lambodoors sold any yet and i doubt he gave away all the vital information on how to make these, so if this guy makes his own design from his own thoughts, he's good to go. Good luck.

·
It's like that
2,759 Posts
No way he could be sued... That would be like Stillen suing 3SX for making a downpipe, or Apex'i suing Blitz for making another turbo timer.... Or Ford suing GM, Toyota, Honda, BMW, and everyone else for making a car.

:)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am doing machine work myself, and there is a friend at machine shop by my house that is helping...he cant sue me(hopefully)but my idea easy and will work good i think, without doing any cutting but under the door for the strut (tryn to fig way not to cut for strut but oh well)

·
Big Kid
2,781 Posts
There is alot to be said for greasy finger nails and inginuity. Good luck to you.

There is also ALOT to be said for " NOT HAVING TO REINVENT THE WHEEL" If you are incling to do it yourself then great but I don't have the time or knowledge to start from ground O so for me and others I would have to defer to those with completed products.

·
Mommy says I'm special
2,311 Posts
I love the aftermarket chain reaction..... One person does it and inspires others. Go for it man. I think I'll get lambo's anyway cuz his are gonna be done faster. Course if this is just for you that's awesome, it will be very unique.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It should work the way I am thinking about doing it, at a fraction of the price...like couple hundred dollars...mine should be done in im guessing a month or so...ive got a couple designs i have thought up and drawn out...When im doing mine ill take pics ect the hold time

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Here's a little US Patent law...... In the US, patents are granted to the first to file. Whereas the international patent law is first to invent. Seeing how I don't think the patent has been files yet, there is no infringement if you can prove that you began design before the patent was filed.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
what i am confused about is this, i know there are many people that make certain products that are pretty much the same only slightly different like king nothing said

Stillen suing 3SX for making a downpipe, or Apex'i suing Blitz for making another turbo timer.... Or Ford suing GM, Toyota, Honda, BMW, and everyone else for making a car.
that makes sence but what about this, why would anyone have a pantent then? what would stop someone from making the exact same product and making some slight alteration that made it different. would that no longer be copying? for example, if i invented some new never before seen product and someone else heard about it and made something very very close to what i was making but without seeing what i was making that would seem unfair. even if they did not copy my product in any way because for example it was very easy and anyone could make it (unlike these doors) someone could make something about the same as mine with no trouble and take all of my business but they would have never thought of it if i had not done it first. that seems wrong. do you see what i mean? it is kind of hard to explain. i think pantents cover this type of situation in some cases but i am not sure. also i think lambo does have the pantent. either way you could definatly make one for yourself no problem and as i said before if you can pull it off i have lots of respect for you, i was not just trying to rain on your parade (sp?). also one other thing is i think once something in invented (i.e. downpipe for example) you can put a patent on that and it lasts for X amount of time, then anyone can make it. i do not know if this means that you could only patent the first set of lambo doors ever made for any car, the forst for a 3/S, or the first that worked in a certain way but it is something to think about. i just wanted to let you know that getting sued might be a possibility if you copied his design or not, i am not a lawyer or anything so i do not know the actual laws though.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
A full guide to lambo doors are available in the kit car community. It's actually cheaper than you think. Try a website out there called lambolounge. The only exotics company that is actually proactive in suing the shit out of imitators is Ferrari, heck Lamborghini does not care if you make kit car.

·
Registered
9,645 Posts
thats why it costs so much damn money to submit a patent....you gotta check that no other person has come up with any designs exactly like yours. I believe when you do get the patent you have full licencing to that product for 10 years...then anyone can make it. but if he makes the doors and they dont cut into the fender then thats a different design and he is legally able to make it. HELL, he can make lambodoors design if he really wanted to since lambodoors doesnt have the patent to it yet. its a free market economy, thats why everything is so god damn cheap....competition is what makes everything run.

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
Well the idea has to be innovative, original and something else to be patented.

Where as neither of you created the idea of a lambo door.

You may also provide the exact same thing as long as you reverse engineered it. Like If I had the ability I could take a can of coke and reverse engineer the coke, and if I could come up with all the ingredients then i could sell it. As long as I didn't steal there recipe files.

You could be sued for using the name "Lambo-doors".
But that actually may be considered a common word now depending how long its been in use.

-Jeff

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am not tryn to get sued or nothing like that. i just dont wanna pay that price he wants...i started workn on mine today and everything is going well so far. I am not going to try to make money off em, just have a how to with pics and all the stuff u need u can get made or buy from certain places. There not lambo doors...there self rising doors :p

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.