Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well well....
what can I say... how fucked is this.... I kept driving the car and guess what, its fuckin stuck in 2nd gear now... could not get it out no matter how hard I tried... I had to get it towed ...
Now the guy that came out with road side assistance said he thinks it is the syncros... please tell me im not up for that much... i cannot believe my luck....
I mean how can the syncros show no sign of problems for days and then just fuck up ????
can someone put me on to somewhere I can get these syncros shipped to me here... thanks

·
resident evil
17,080 Posts
One question?? Why continue to drive the car if you knew it was giving you problems? I think you have posted for almost a week about having trouble getting in and out of gears. Granted if it is the tranny synchros, you will have to get a rebuilt unit anyway, but why risk damging other parts as well? Just my .02 and I hope it all works out alright. I hate hearing about all the tranny problems cause I have #3 in my car and they seem to go at about 35k mile intervals.

Sam

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I kept driving because from all the responses I got, it seamed like other people had the problem and it was ok to drive.... and I figured if i could get around the problem (not shifting from 1st to 2nd, but worked fine from 1st to neutral to 2nd) I didnt think it was a major problem...
if its just the syncros, I can get it repaired/rebuilt right ??? the other parts in the gear box are ok right ?

·
resident evil
17,080 Posts
I always thought the synchros helped in getting into gears, not getting out. Did you check your linkage to make sure its not binding somewhere? Does your clutch disengage? I hope its not a bearing failure, cause that has a habit of trashing the internals of our tranny. Wish you luck bud--the guys on the 3s board claim they can get internal parts from Mitsu . I heard something about this guy Oleg that said the Euro CAPS allowed him to order parts previously unobtainable.

Sam

·
You break em, we fix em
1,266 Posts
It is not the synchros, not the clutch.

It should go into all gears easily when the car is off, clutch engaged regardless of the synchro condition, clutch condition.

If it does not, check your linkage - disconnect the cables and see if you can move the 2 shift levers on the trans by hand. If you cannot something is wrong in the trans with the shift rods and forks. possible something broke and is jammed in there somewhere.

Find a COMPETANT transmission rebuild shop to take a look at it for you

·
Registered
486 Posts
check your clutch fluid level

·
You break em, we fix em
1,266 Posts
Please read my post again - it has NOTHING to do with your clutch or synchros. Anyone that doubts me go out to your car - any kind of car - and WITH IT OFF move the lever into every gear with the clutch out, in doesn't matter.

It sounds like you can't get it out of 2nd AT ALL, right? Correct me if I'm understanding your problem wrong.

479 Posts
It is more then likely your trans/clutchfork. Sorry don't know the technical name without the book on hand. Friend of mine on here with a VR4 just had the same problem and it was a bent fork. Not sure how much the actually rebuild though. It deffiniatly has nothing to do with the clutch itself, linkage, or syncros.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
its stuck alright... spoke to a tranny rebuild place that have done these before, he is sure it is not the synchros...
he thinks without looking at it, that it is something broken in there...
it is dead stuck in second, clutch seams to be working fine cause i can drive the car perfectly, only in second gear !!
tried to shove it out and it poped out about an inch and all i heard was grinding, wouldnt go out more than that...
i think im screwed again
how ironic, 2 gtos in my driveway awaiting tranny work....
I think its time to fix em and get rid of em, as much as i love the damn cars

·
Premium Member
2,986 Posts
gto melbourne said:
I think its time to fix em and get rid of em, as much as i love the damn cars
You know, when I was pulling the heads off my R/T Turbo I was cussing and saying the exact same thing. When I got it done I kinda forgot all about that hidden anger after the first drive:D Don't worry it's just a phase you go through:cool:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ill buy one in stock form for 3000$.
hehe will you pay the shipping costs too ? na once i fix them I can probably get rid of them for $30,000 AUS or so..... around $16K US
they are rare mofos here

1 - 13 of 13 Posts