Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the topic suggests, I have a 1st Gen GTO Auto NA for many years and was very very well-maintained. No major repairs thus far except the ECU replaced due to blown circuits. Done 40000miles only over 8 years - purely weekend drives. Recent changed all 60k tune-up parts and intend to keep this car for many years to come. My car was never driven hard before. Never go more than 80mph on highways (you luv our cruise control) nor ever floor the gas pedal at any time.
Basically, this car has been treated like a Lady all these while and wonder if it's right?

I was told by most high-performance sports car owners and mechanics that our high-performance 3S must be driven hard periodically in order to clear any sludges or unwanted deposits in the engine and exhaust systems.

Is it true or a myth?

·
3Si Corporate Shareholder
3,784 Posts
Many times untreated daily driven cars acquire carbon buildup and other deposits on the pistons and other places. Many cars need to be driven hard once in a while to break down all of that crap. That's why its good to rev a car up now and again when its new too. Regardless, a good cruise at 70 for a little while will do the trick.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
I treat her like the bitch she is.That the only way to keep her in line.;)

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
If our cars are ladys, then mine would have already had me arrested for abuse. The way I see it is, drive the piss out of it. If it breaks, fix it. And do it again. Besides, that will give you an excuse to upgrade.

·
2,248 Posts
I always treat my car like a lady... a lady that likes to go fast. I don't do a lot of hard launches, flooring it, etc etc etc but I do cruise anywhere from 80-100 on highways and interstates. As my good 'ole college roommate used to say: There are very few things better for your car than an occassional run at high speeds on the highway. (He was from Germany and considered the Autobahn as a "highway")

Fortunately, my car has not treated me as though she were a lady. LOL

·
Registered
129 Posts
mcac said:
I was told by most high-performance sports car owners and mechanics that our high-performance 3S must be driven hard periodically in order to clear any sludges or unwanted deposits in the engine and exhaust systems.

Is it true or a myth?
My 94 TT has treated me pretty well, and I treat her like a lady but she still needs some good vigorous (yet loving) and wild sex now and then... (Damn, the below was written before the above, but now I think it applies equally to women as well as cars... :)

I agree it's true as far as the engine is concerned. Particularly if it's rarely driven or mostly "granny driven".

You want to blow out any carbon stuck anywhere around the combustion chamber, valves or exhaust. (Please don't ask about the body parts equivalents. :) You also want to make sure all the components get up to full operating temperature to assist in that, and get rid of crap like possible oil fouling on the plugs. I might not be exact in these details, but the principle remains and it also applies to normal commuter cars, though perhaps less so.

None of this means you need to slam on the brakes (except for the occasional test perhaps) or wing the car around corners at 0.97 g or burn clutches and rubber. Just a nice full throttle run on the highway on-ramp up to 70-100 mph every once in a while should do it, assuming you also keep her up at 70-80 mph for a good 15 minutes or so.

Making sure the engine is warm before the above is probably a good idea; 5 minutes should do at minimum. (Ok, this part was added... :)

·
Registered
715 Posts
am i right to say that many people redline their car occasionally for this purpose?

i do...for fun mainly ;)
but now i know exactly where i can get in my gears
1st = ~43mph
2nd = ~73
3rd = ~110
4....i havent rev-limited that yet
but i know it goes more than 130!
5,6 = ? (i wish i could redline 6!!! :eek: have to get some mods first) ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts