Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the tell tell signs of a transmission slipping? When I am accelerating, it starts out accelerating fine, then it seems to slip, sometimes makes a noise, then grabs again, then slips, I know its not the clutch, any other thing it could be, I know my input and output shafts are stripped pretty bad, so could that be it, or can the actual gears in the tranny start to slip? My syncros are also shot, so should I just buy a new tranny from kormex, any one know the cost?, or just I buy the parts to do the rebuild? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So does anyone know how much a new tranny costs, or the price to rebuild, which would I be better off doing? Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,986 Posts
If it's just the output shaft and sleave to the transfer case call kormex and buy those parts. The output shaft can be installed without pulling the transmission off your car. You just need to take off the end casing which is just a few bolts.

As far as the sleave on the transfer case goes you'll need a gear press. A reputable shop can do this. Also, you could just send the transfer case to Kormex and get one of their rebuilts and buy the output shaft from them. As long as the transmission is working beyond that I'd just replace the output shaft. Also, if the output shaft is as worn as you say it it I would stop driving the car until you have it resolved. If you lose the output shaft and drive the car with only the front wheels you can say goodbye to your VCU and a defenite hello to a new transmission.

The output shaft is $250. I think the t-case sleave would be about the same, maybe a little less.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Karmex

Buy it, You get a FREE Transfer Case when you buy the Tranny. It is only like 2,500 (dont quote me) But is a GREAT deal from what i remember.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts