Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright today i went out and started to seperate my transmission case, got all the bolts out and it won't pull apart any ideas on why it won't come apart i have it pulled apart a lil bit there is about a inch between one side and the other side. Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Aghhhh
9,731 Posts
Make sure you've got ALL the bolts out.

Then try hitting it with a rubber mallet. There's two dowels that help align the case segments. They can get a bit cruddy.

What transmission do you have? If it's the 6-speed, you can drive the dowels out before splitting the case. The 6-speed also has a couple of bolts that may not be so obvious.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a 5 speed and i have it split apart enough that the dowels are out of the holes but it won't even budge after that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Make sure you get the bolts inside the bellhousing; I think they were covered with grease when I was trying to get mine apart.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Getrag (w5mg1) 5 speed it’s a 1991, no I don’t have service manual and I’m trying to take the top cover off first

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
Getrag (w5mg1) 5 speed it’s a 1991, no I don’t have service manual and I’m trying to take the top cover off first
Definitely download the manual... It will save you a lot of grief.

Don't know what you mean by top cover..? The end cover maybe? Stand it on the end cover and pull the bellhousing first. Then the mid housing, and everything will be sitting in the end cover. Then you can remove the bolt and washer from the end of the input shaft, and press the shaft out of the bearing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ok this is all making sense now thank you for the help but my selector is all unbolted and everything but the shaft part with the spring does not want to slide out on top of all this this may sound dumb but all these pictures show the tranny sitting flush on the bell housing but mine doesn’t it sits on that secondary shaft (not the output shaft with the throw out barring) is don’t know if that has to do with anything...?

·
Registered
90 Posts
:unsure:Just rebuilt my 5 speed and remember facing the same issue. I don't 100% remember how I got it(so if I miss something sorry)but as per the OEM 2 volume service manual, set it down on the bell housing to begin. remove end cover, both of the nuts, the end clutch/syncro assembly, and it is necessary to remove roll pin and shift fork attatched to the 5th gear shift rail. then just make sure you have all the case bolts, the reverse idler bolt in the side of the case, all three shift rail bolt/spring/ball assemblies and both of the bolt/spring/ball detents on the adjoining side(one will be your reverse switch). then the case should split.(all three shift rails will stay in the bell housing, you will deal with those later). you should have a completely empty case half when you remove it with exception to the bearing races of course. Hope that gives you most of what you need

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
:unsure:Just rebuilt my 5 speed and remember facing the same issue. I don't 100% remember how I got it(so if I miss something sorry)but as per the OEM 2 volume service manual, set it down on the bell housing to begin. remove end cover, both of the nuts, the end clutch/syncro assembly, and it is necessary to remove roll pin and shift fork attatched to the 5th gear shift rail. then just make sure you have all the case bolts, the reverse idler bolt in the side of the case, all three shift rail bolt/spring/ball assemblies and both of the bolt/spring/ball detents on the adjoining side(one will be your reverse switch). then the case should split.(all three shift rails will stay in the bell housing, you will deal with those later). you should have a completely empty case half when you remove it with exception to the bearing races of course. Hope that gives you most of what you need
You are describing working on a Mitsubishi F5M33 from a non turbo... The Getrag W5MG1/W6MG1 in the turbo car is a completely different species.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts