Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on gettinga 1st generation vr-4 with the 5 spd tranny. However, i may want to evenatually swap it for a 6spd. How much do you guys think it would cot to completely to everything. Thanks, Derek

·
Aghhhh
9,731 Posts
Anywhere between $3000 and $5000 depending on how much you pay for parts. You need the whole driveline. Transmission, transfer case, driveshaft and rear differential.

·
You break em, we fix em
1,266 Posts
I just picked up the 6 speed trans, transfer case, driveshaft, rear end, speedometer, shifter and cables for $2250. Labor is free if you do it yourself like me, I would recommend experienced mechanics only attempt it though its a huge job.

·
HIGHRISK
501 Posts
moparjim said:
I just picked up the 6 speed trans, transfer case, driveshaft, rear end, speedometer, shifter and cables for $2250. Labor is free if you do it yourself like me, I would recommend experienced mechanics only attempt it though its a huge job.
Did you need the speedometer? And where'd you happen to find this setup for so cheap? I'm looking to add a 6speed tranny to my list (keep more power low). Info appreciated!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I made the conversion on my '93 RT TT in the spring of 2000. I purchase all my parts from Cherry Auto Parts in Toledo, Ohio (cherry-auto.com). I got all the parts from a '96 RT TT with 26k miles. 6-spd trans. $1600, rear end $400, Drive Shaft $250, Transfer $500. I used the existing shifter and cables. I had the pinion gear moved from the '96 rear end into my '93 rear end for $226 ('96 rear ends were not setup for AWS). While I had the trans. out I replaced the clutch with a RPS turbo and fly-wheel (which I got for free from the '96). I did a lot of the work myself with the help of a local mechanic and my father. The fact that dad let use one corner of his heated farm shop for the winter help a lot!!

I love the conversion. I get great gas mileage on the highway. The feeling of hitting 100mph and still have 3 more gears is awesome.

Neil
Gray '93 RT TT, 6-spd, K&N, etc, and more to come.

·
You break em, we fix em
1,266 Posts
I got my stuff out of a wrecked 94, so I have the AWS in the rear end. I am not sure about the speedo, but I was told by the guy I bought it from that I will need it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I didn't replace or convert the speedo during my conversion and it stills seem to be reading the right speed. I did change the speedo gear right after I purchased the car to one with one more tooth to solve the accuracy problem that the 1st gens. had at higher speeds.

Neil
Gray '93 RT TT with 6 spd, K&N,+

·
Here Since 2000
3,707 Posts
esc said:

Did you need the speedometer? And where'd you happen to find this setup for so cheap? I'm looking to add a 6speed tranny to my list (keep more power low). Info appreciated!
WTF how is that goona work for your base??????????????????????????????:confused:

I think your kidding right?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts