Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get the big bearing off the spool in the transfer case

I tried heating it up with a blow torch and then tried to pry it off. But no bueno....

also the gap in between top of the big cone gear and the bearing is too small to get the hooks of a 2 arm puller tool

Any advice?

17,558 Posts
Bearing splitter will work. Just fyi if you press the spool out the bearing becomes a slip fit.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright. I don't have access to such heavy duty press. So a bearing splitter it will be. Thanks for response.

17,558 Posts
Alright. I don't have access to such heavy duty press. So a bearing splitter it will be. Thanks for response.
We will swap it for you if you cover shipping.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the offer but the shipping across the pond from Sweden would kill me. I got shops around here that could do it I guess, I just wanted to get it done quick myself so I could start shimming and get it assembled. So I will try the bearingsplitter first. Thanks.

Btw. the guy that did the box before me used alot of shims. 1.3mm on small bearing, 1mm on big bearing. Feels like alot to me but maybe it varies that much from bearing to bearing. But he used "***" bearings so I'm changing to SKF.

edit; lol that word was censoured. the bearings brand are called GAF, but in reverse

·
Registered
527 Posts
you can also heat the inner race of the bearing with a propane torch it will be a slip fit install

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes definately will. And I will put the shaft in the freezer also.

It's how I put in the bearings in the races of the case also. Cooled the bearings in the freezer and heated the box in the oven. Dropped right in, where as before I couldnt even hammer them in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts