Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my transfer case is dead on my stealth TT. I bought one used off of a 91 VR4, was promised it was 18 spline. The TC arrives, and it has 25 teeth.

So I order a 2nd one. I'm told the input shaft of the vehicle it is off of..91? has 18 splines. The TC arrives, and again it has 25 teeth (see attached pic...theses are the teeth I am counting..)

Now I'm told the 18 spline refers to the input shaft
from the transmission, and that both TC's are off of
18 spline vehicles...1st gen VR4's...91's.

So does an 18 spline transfer case have 25 teeth?

I'm a little confused here. This should be an easy question for someone...

Please help..

Thanks,

Attachments

·
Puts Out On 1st Date !
6,397 Posts
You are counting the wrong teeth. Count the splines that are on the output shaft from the tranny. You could also count the teeth on the coupler (the part of the t-case that connects to the tranny)

·
Puts Out On 1st Date !
6,397 Posts
If your car is a '91 and it has the stock tranny in it you have an 18 spline. They didn't start witht he 25 splines until part way into the production of the '92 model year.

·
Dare to be Stupid
2,739 Posts
Pull off your T-case & look at what you have. There is no sure way whether you have an 18 or 25 without looking. The 91's had a recall on the T-case. Some were switched to a 25 at that point in time. Also, if the car was still sitting at port at the time they changed the design, it was switched to a 25.

And yes, you're counting the wrong teeth, look at the other end of the T-case.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ok, if I count the other side. One of the TC's I have in my basement has 18 splines....and one has 23 splines. Both have 25 teeth on the other side.

I know mine needs an 18 splines. So your telling me the 18 spline TC I have should fit, with the 25 teeth on the other end.

Good stuff.

Any idea what the 23 spline is from??? supposedly 91 VR4...but can't be. Do DSM's use 22 or 23 splines?

Where'd that pic go that was posted....I wanted to look at it again..??

-Rob

·
Givin it up to the fallen
683 Posts
call transport canada and tell them your TC failed on you while driving. I called them last week and they contacted dodge, dodge called me yesterday saying they are sending me a new transfer case and it should be here in a few days. They will also cover the cost of any other damages done to the car because of it.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well just talked to daimler chrysler canada. Looks like the recall did come through. Now what the hell do I do.

The dealer now has info on the recall, but said it will take about 2 weeks until they get the "remedy" information. But at least my vin lookup now shows a recall outstanding.

Meanwhile I'm having a used 18 spline installed on Monday.
The local dodge dealer told me. If it's a question about whether or not you can drive the vehicle, go ahead and install the used one prior to when the recall is performed..

I *Might* be able to claim my expenses from the used TC when the recall finally comes through.

Hope this is the best route to go..?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.