Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a part that's not for everyone but those of us who really push these cars at high speeds might have noticed the tendency of the transfer case to push oil out through the breather. This creates a mess under the car and risks starving the transfer case of oil which can result in nasty surprises.

After living with this problem for a few years I had a metal breather made that I connected to a small vented motorcykle brake reservoir in the engine bay so that any access got pushed up into the reservoir and so that I could easily add fluid if needed.

This is what the first breather version looked like.

This setup worked great apart from the o-ring not fully sealing in some conditions due to the built in groove in the breather hole of the transfer case the being too large for the it to seal.

The breather itself was turned, milled and pressed which meant it was pretty time consuming to produce.

So this winter while working on my car I developed a new billet aluminum version of this breather that's made in one piece and press fits into the transfer case breather hole instead.

Here is what the new version looks like:

I haven't started producing these yet apart from for my own use but if there is enough interest I could make a few more of them. So write a post in this thread if your interested in one.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was afraid of metal fragments falling into the transfer case, that's why I opted for the o-ring approach first and then later the press fit.

Did you take the TC apart in order to thread the breather hole or did you tap it with the TC upside down or some other clever method?

·
1994 Mit 3000gt VR4 6spd
1,484 Posts
Hey robert i'll end up getting one of those and your steering wheel adapter at some point. I'll hit you up on the chat.

Reactions: Unlogic

·
Registered
23,379 Posts
I used a portion of the original squishy breather to make a gasket for a barbed 90 degree plastic fitting.

I don't like the press fit design. I think using 2 or 3 orings would give you a seal and be removable. I'd also want shallow grooves or barbs on the outlet so the hose doesn't just slip off one day. Perhaps use your block to set the angle and then instead of the smooth nipple (giggity), use an NPT or SAE port for an off the shelf barbed fitting.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The o-ring approach was what I tried first but the grove for the stock breather partially down the hole is very large and messes up the fitment as it likes to intefere with the o-rings on the breather both when installing and removing it.

I didn't make any grooves in the nipple as the silicone hose I had used for the past few years was stuck on there so hard that I almost had to cut it loose. There is no pressure worth mentioning inside the transfer case so a silicone hose with a small spring clamp should not come loose unless it gets physically snagged somewhere.

·
Marshall Taylor
1,611 Posts
I'm about to make a small batch of breathers in a few weeks. Just waiting for a new vice for my rotary table.
I’ll have to check with Chris to see if the ATX AWD TC uses the same breather as the VR-4 TC’s.

·
Registered
1992 3000GT VR4
1,899 Posts
This is a part that's not for everyone but those of us who really push these cars at high speeds might have noticed the tendency of the transfer case to push oil out through the breather. This creates a mess under the car and risks starving the transfer case of oil which can result in nasty surprises.

After living with this problem for a few years I had a metal breather made that I connected to a small vented motorcykle brake reservoir in the engine bay so that any access got pushed up into the reservoir and so that I could easily add fluid if needed.

This is what the first breather version looked like.

View attachment 299863

View attachment 299865

View attachment 299866

View attachment 299867

This setup worked great apart from the o-ring not fully sealing in some conditions due to the built in groove in the breather hole of the transfer case the being too large for the it to seal.

The breather itself was turned, milled and pressed which meant it was pretty time consuming to produce.

So this winter while working on my car I developed a new billet aluminum version of this breather that's made in one piece and press fits into the transfer case breather hole instead.

Here is what the new version looks like:

View attachment 299868

View attachment 299869

View attachment 299870

View attachment 299871

View attachment 299872

I haven't started producing these yet apart from for my own use but if there is enough interest I could make a few more of them. So write a post in this thread if your interested in one.
Interest part still available
(Res - hose - fitting)
$ ?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
For the reservoir I just used one of these generic ones for motorcycles. You can get them at many places:

I use silicone hose on my car but a rubber hose would probably be a better choice as silicone doesn't really like oil in the long run.

I'm planing to sell the fittings for 40$ + shipping (without reservoir and hose).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts