Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend just bought a 1991 3000 GT VR4. He bought it for $6,500, but the car has a shift problem. It makes a weird bang noise when shifting aggressivly, but it is not grinding the gears. When you shift normal it doesn't make the noise it shifts just fine. It doesn't make this noise in any other gears it just does it when shifting from first to second. I thought he might need a master cylender. Has anyone else had this problem with there tranny? Do you guys think he needs a new tranny? Any Suggestions PLEASE.

·
Premium Member
1,353 Posts
Oh boy...

How come I'm the first one to jump in to answer this???

Those symptoms sound depressingly similar to what everyone describes when the synchros are going in one of our trannies, although it is usually described as a grind instead of a bang. If you want to read more details about it, click on "search" on the top of the page and search for synchro or kormex.

Kormex remanufactures our tranny, and will also sell you the synchros if you (or a local GOOD tranny shop) wants to get into get into a rebuild. If nothing else have him call Frank at Kormex and describe the problem, he should be able to give you some good advice.

Hal
96 VR-4

·
Bored User
8,535 Posts
My bet is the driveshaft carrier bearings are shot.

·
Grrr, baby, grrr
6,116 Posts
Is it a thud coming from the rear of the car, or is it a thump sound comnig from the shifter itself... can you feel it in your hand?

·
Bored User
8,535 Posts
If it's during the 1-2 shift mine does it once in a great while. It's not a grind but a 'thunk'. I've never been able to figure it out, it's never been a problem though..

·
Registered
198 Posts
If it is after the shift, it could be output shaft wear too. If it is during the shift, it is probably normal. Mine does it every once in a while at low rpm's and it doesn't grind even at 6k, so you may not have a syncro problem.

·
Grrr, baby, grrr
6,116 Posts
shoopdog29 said:
The noise is coming from the shifter
Mine does it too, sometimes...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts