Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was letting my friend who has an auto z28 drive.
well, we got to a redlight and the car would not go into 1st :eek:
We jumped out (light is green) and traded spots so I could try - no luck. I had to budge it forward a little to get it to go into gear.
Luckily this was just before my wife and her friend came by so they didnt realize what happened :p

also it was a little chilly out and not more than half a mile from home
what caused this? the car has 43K miles
sometimes it is hard to put in reverse when its cold, but its never been IMPOSSIBLE to put it in gear. i had to stick my leg out and roll the car! How embarassing...people behind me and all. :(

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
btw I let him drive again and he now likes vr4s :D

·
Registered
624 Posts
Check the fluid. It's close to the brake booster. It takes DOT#3. Just like the brake fluid.

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
When this happens in a manual tranny, it mens that the gears are not lined up to go in. It happens once n awhile. What you can do is put it 1/2 way into first and then lift the clutch 1/2 up. Then push the clutch back in and put it into 1st. Or put it into 2nd, 3rd, reverse, etc and lift the clutch 1/2 up and then put it back down. You gotta just turn the tranny enough to get the greas to line up. no biggy, its happened in every manual tranny car I have had.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
matt92vr4 said:
When this happens in a manual tranny, it mens that the gears are not lined up to go in. It happens once n awhile. What you can do is put it 1/2 way into first and then lift the clutch 1/2 up. Then push the clutch back in and put it into 1st. Or put it into 2nd, 3rd, reverse, etc and lift the clutch 1/2 up and then put it back down. You gotta just turn the tranny enough to get the greas to line up. no biggy, its happened in every manual tranny car I have had.
tried that - no good. had to push the car.

·
Registered
624 Posts
If you can put it in gear while the car isn't running, It is the clutch master cylender. You can pump the clutch several times to get it going, if you still have fluid in it.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
could be, but i havent noticed any symptoms of that so far. last time that happened (ford ranger) it would start grabbing while I was in gear at stops and try to inch forward. Also I lost pressure on the pedal.
I hope it is the clutch and not something in the tranny.
Actually I hope its not anything!

I guess I'll wait for more symptoms before I diagnose...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts