Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Mmmmm, Boooooost!
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I'm still trying to ease my mind, here. When I did a 60K mile maintenence, I swapped my tranny fluid from OEM to Redline MTL. Not two weeks after, my 2-3 synchro blew (and three autocrosses). What do you guys use in your trannys and would switching back to OEM possibly alleviate some of the grinding into 3rd that I experience now?

Thanks in advance,

Damon
1992 R/T TT.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I am running a 50/50 mix of Red Line MTL and MT-90.

This was based on several e-mails I exchanged with Red Line. I gave them all kinds of detail about the car, driving habits, weather, etc. - anything I thought would have a bearing on the makeup/choice of the fliuds.

This is what they recommended for the transmission and transfer case.

It didn't seem to make much difference at first but after about 1000 miles post changeover it started to smooth shifting quite a bit. By 2500 miles post changeover it was shifting as well as any sports/performance car I've ever owned. I'm very pleased with the result (I thought the shifting on the factory fluids felt like a truck transmission).

Both products are GL-4 lubricants and should be fine for our cars.

Chris
'94 VR4

·
Mmmmm, Boooooost!
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply, chris.

I'll try using some MT-90 in there as well, but I don't suspect it'll make all that much difference.

Does changing the tranny fluid too often cause problems? As long as you drain out the old stuff sufficiently, you shouldn't have a problem, right?

Thanks
Damon

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Couple of points worth making.

1) I would take the time to consult Red Line on the mix that makes sense for you. I know they have given other people different blends then what I use. In the summer it can hit between 95-100 F here (SW Virginia), this morning it was 15 F. I don't race, push the car hard only ocassionally (no fun racing pickup trucks and deer), little traffic mostly country roads between 35 and 80 mph. Car gets garaged at home in an attached garage (close to interior house temp.).

2)I switched everyhting to Red Line with about 6000 miles on the car. The shifting may have been "notchy" and truck-like but there was nothing truly wrong (damaged)about it.

3)I don't believe you can overchange the fluids per se but once you have the right fliud in I can't see changing it more than annually without a reason (high mileage, hard driving, etc.). It is apparently normal to find some fine metal particles in the drained fluid from the transmission (and the tranfer case and differential as well).

4)I wouldn't think that making the change in blend would help if something is really wrong with a part or parts in the transmission. I also doubt that transmissions fail when a good quality fluid of the correct type and quantity is used, and the car maintained properly. If parts are failing when the right things are done it is the design/quality of the transmission or the way it is/was driven. All the complaints about the transmissions in our cars suggests that they are at the least under-designed for their actual use.

Using a product like the Red Line fluids may improve shifting quality and/or extend the component life but it isn't going fix something that is already gone or save the day if the product is inadequately designed.

If my transmission ever starts to show signs of going I know I'll be very unhappy. I hope this isn't the case for you. I wish you the best in finding a good solution.

Chris

·
Mmmmm, Boooooost!
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your two cents, chris.

I understand what's going on, the synchro is blown (2-3) and the only solution is to replace the synchro ($500 with labor for the tranny work alone) but i was hoping to get atleast one autocross more out of it. Is it possible that because of a different viscosity/properties of the oil that by switching back to OEM, I might be able to get into 3rd without gear grind? I don't think so, but hey, it's only $10 and afterall, it's winter. time to do things to our babys!!!

thanks again.

Damon

1 - 5 of 5 Posts