Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
finally decided a vr4 is the only way to go.
it's stock and has 78000 miles.
320hp stock and I want it to be a 400hp. Can anyone give me any suggestions what to install, replace or needs to be done?
how much horse power can a VR4 have up to?

thanks for any suggestions.

·
The Blank Man
1,161 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts

·
Registered
9,645 Posts
first get yourself a k&n....must have
then get a nice electronic boost controller and turn it to 14.5 psi...
or go manual if you dont wana fork out the cash
then get a downpipe and catback exhaust
throw on a nice BOV cause im sure yours will be leaking

should be around 400 hp then

·
just some guy.
2,573 Posts
here you go

air filter, one stage colder spark plugs, good spark plug wires, downpipe, exhaust, supra fuel pump, dsm injectors, fuel pump re-wire, boost controller (17 psi), afc, good clutch, boost gauge. 400 crank hp.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I'd recommend against UDP's ... at least if you are ever considering getting a lightweight flywheel. The flywheel is better bang for the buck and having both a UDP and flywheel will cause serious stalling issues when your RPM's are descending. Plus for the 200 bucks you can get a whole lot more ponies under the hood.

·
just some guy.
2,573 Posts
i have both full aluminum flywheel and UR underdrive pulley, and my car has no stalling issues or anything else. I could not feel any improvement on performance with the underdrive pulley. I would not replace the stock one if it is still good. the only reason I bought the underdrive pulley was because my stock one blew apart.

·
?Mark
16,768 Posts

The wordis if u have the money 1200Hp is in reach,lol.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
The big issue with UDPs are the lack of a harmonic balancer.

Harmonic balancers dampen noise-induced (and some rattling, etc.) vibrations (harmonic) in the crank shaft to keep it balanced (balancer) and prevent excessive rod bearing and main bearing wear.

Some of that is opinion though. If you're going to get an Underdrive Pulley, research it, make your own opinion, then decide.

400 crank horse? That's it?
Hell, intake and boost did that on my car. Nothing else needed. :)

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Racer_X said:
i have both full aluminum flywheel and UR underdrive pulley, and my car has no stalling issues or anything else. I could not feel any improvement on performance with the underdrive pulley. I would not replace the stock one if it is still good. the only reason I bought the underdrive pulley was because my stock one blew apart.
To be fair if I richen up the mixture enough with the Arc2 I don't stall either ... but then I run silly rich. When I was stock I guess I had less stalling issues but once you jump into fuel management ... everything becomes a mess. Regardless trust me ... the underdrive pulley is a big waste of $200. Maybe it does something for an N/A ... and it might even buy us 8-10hp ... but in TT land 8-10 horsepower is just a drop in the bucket.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thank pple.
sound like installing the basic stuff will get me into the 400 hp.

installing the basics intake, exhaust, downpipe n so on for the sl model doesn't that much of a different. to me that is.

·
chunsangp
3,556 Posts
If you don't know anything about fuel system, don't touch them.
Just settle down with the bolt ons.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts