Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Still Posting Novels >>>
678 Posts
No changes that I'm aware of, though the early DSMs and some 80s models used a 3-pin version with an external idle switch, but I don't think the 3/S platform ever got those. Pretty much any 3/S DOHC TPS or 2g DSM TPS will do.

·
Money pit owner.
2,600 Posts
seems to me there's some chinese/ebay knockoffs that are pretty cheap. I bought what looked like new OEM PTU and it was crap. Perhaps the same is happening to TPS.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
seems to me there's some chinese/ebay knockoffs that are pretty cheap. I bought what looked like new OEM PTU and it was crap. Perhaps the same is happening to TPS.
I bought a NOS OEM mitsubishi TPS off Ebay for $19. when i called napa they wanted $140 for an airtex (chinese) part. The part says it fits and should work according to the part number on the bag

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
It usually does, just like part numbers, boxes, and instructions on counterfeit HKS BOVs usually look legit. Its the little things... like what color is the the plastic connector and is the triple diamond on the package red that give them away usually.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Okay here is the situation, I have a 1992 Dodge Stealth. The TPS it calls for is a TH299. I bought a Standard TPS off Ebay. It came without a box just wrapped in bubble wrap. looks like the original, but it said TS60-1 on the side !
I believe that is for the 1993 and above models ! So I returned it immediately, since the 93 and above ones have a different Ignition setup/, using a separate cam and cranks sensor !
So I decided to pay full price from Orielly's since they were having a sale and I have points. Still cost more but I thought much more reliable to order from than from Ebay
Well I got it in today, which it did come in the original Standard Box with TH299 printed on the outside of it, BUT when I took it out and looked at it, SAME THING ! TS60-1 Printed on the outside of the part !
Should I be concerned, I really don't want to install it finding out it does not work, and maybe not be able to return it ??
Any suggestions ?

·
Still Posting Novels >>>
678 Posts
I've already said this, but they're all the same. The 93+ ignition stuff only applies to the CAS sensor (optical vs hall, and early 1g optical output an additional crank signal), the TPS is irrelevant to that. As long as it has four pins it'll do the job. The only one that won't work is the 3 pin version from early 1g DSMs as they have an external idle switch.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Okay ty, I was just concerned about installing it, then it didn't work ;-0
So just curious why the model number change on the TPS, from 93 and above ?

·
Still Posting Novels >>>
678 Posts
Most likely it's just that they consolidated the part number as the Colt, Diamante, Mirage, etc all moved to using the same TPS sensor in '93. I remember rumors on the DSM forums that the TPS sensor had the Idle Position Switch adjusted shortly after the 1gs went to the four pin TPS, but I don't think that was ever substantiated. They also may have changed the internal rheostat to something more reliable, similar to the uprated capacitor change during '93 to help prevent failing modules. Who knows? In any case, all the DOHC 3/S use the same sensor, so I wouldn't worry too much about the details.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts