Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It looks like I dont have a TPS, WTF??

for a while now at low rpms my car stumbles, or like sputters. i cant stand it anymore. when i get up to around 3,000 rpms the sputtering goes away, and the car pulls fine. also if i feather the throttle at low rpms it will not sputter. if i step on it though, it will sputter really bad. when i put fuel system cleaner in the gas tank the sputtering at low rpms goes away. another thing is that when i have the A/C on and i come up to a light and push in the clutch the rpms drop all the way down close to 0, and sometimes the car will stall and sometimes the rpms will jump back up. does all of this sound like the symptoms of a bad TPS?? the only reason that i think it might not be the TPS is that raising the octane make the stumbling go away. someone please help. i have changed the sprak plugs and the fuel filter, and made no difference. sorry about the long post, but i need to get this fixed, i am getting sick of driving my car like this. thanx for any help!!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Maybe

Originally it sounded like a Mass air flow sensor, but since you can rev over 2500rpm it cancels that thought....try taking off the TPS and clean the contacts and then re-attach and see the outcome....it will either eleviate the prob. or it will stay the same....if nothing happens, try searching on the site for TPS etc... and find the diagnostic manual and diagnose the TPS....

D

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
clean your Throttle body! it stall sometimes because your throttle body doens't real that quick becuase of all the dirt build up. i used to have same problem on my truck 1990 and after i clean the TB it works fine.

about the TPS dont take them off becuase there some kind of setting on that i dont' know how to set those up. it is setup up by tightening the bolt i believe.

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
Here's the TPS instructions:

http://moojohn.com/tpsinstructions.gif

Also, do my FP rewire mod. Perhaps your fuel pump is getting really crappy voltage and running lean. It happens much more than you'd think. The relay gets old and puts out less and lesss voltage as it ages.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
where do i get a mut II diagnosis tester, and how much they cost?? can i do the fuel pump relay mod?? i thought that mod was only for TT's. i might be thinking about a different mod, so correct me if im wrong. i need a service manual!!

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
Oops, didn't notice you were NA. Ignore the relay part. Instead, have you changed your fuel filter?

You want to use a regular volt meter vs. the MUT II - that's the dealer's tool and it costs several thousand dollars :eek:

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i changed my fuel filter, and made no difference. actually it made it a little worse, maybe b/c it was from autozone. how much does a voltmeter cost? i might be able to borrow one from a friend sumthin it its kinda pricey. where exactly is the TPS?? i was looking for it and didnt know what it looked like. is it right by the throttle cable? thanx for all of the help man, i really appreciate it.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
alright, im gonna try to explain this the best i can. when im looking at the pics of the TPS on the instructions, i dont even have the tab thing with the hole in it, the ring looking thing (which i believe is the TPS) that you turn. i am looking at the connectors, and there is a blue one, a red one, a black one, and a gray one. the blue one has a bunch of brownish-yellow goo on it. and only has 2 wires going to it. but what worries me is that it looks like i dont even have TPS. WTF?? maybe the N/A's TPS looks different than in the pic. some one help PLEASE!!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
anyone know if the TPS is in the same spot in the N/A's as in the TT's. it looks like the TPS is in between 2 of the connectors, in the pic and it is not there in my car. can anyone clear this up for me??

·
Registered
832 Posts
It should be the same, and yes, you do have a TPS. Even if its not the exact same place, it should still be on the front side of the TB. Should be the only plastic piece on the front side of the TB.

·
Registered
832 Posts
"looks like the TPS is in between 2 of the connectors, in the pic and it is not there in my car"

Your right, its not between two other connectors. The other connectors you see in the picture are attached to a bracket that is bolted to the plenum.

Just look on the front side of the TB. You'll see it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Here are the following stated for troubleshooting

Rough idle or engine stalls

VACUUM LEAKS
* Evaporative emission purge control valve hose

*Vacuum hoses

*Intake manifold

*Intake manifold Plenum

*Throttle body

*EGR Valve

clogged air cleaner

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
its weird, because my car only stalls when i have the A/C on. other that that it never stalls, or the rpms never drop down close to 0. so it really hasn't stalled since the summer. im just not sure if the low rpm sputtering and the rpms dropping really low is a related problem, that's why i posted both problems. its strange that raising the octane makes the car run a hell of a lot better, the sputtering goes away for that tank of gas. as soon as i fill up again, the problems back. it sux, i really need to get it fixed. i just dont want to pay like $80 for a diagnositc test. thanx guys for all of yer help. i think i might try replacing my TPS.

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
The TPS is a couple hundred dollars. Don't be so quick to replace it.

It sounds like your problem is your idle air controller. The car can't raise the idle when the AC is on. The bad part is it's also expensive.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Is the 95 an obdII non-datalogger friendly unit? If not, go pick up a datalogger or ask around if anyone near you has one. Thats how i found my TPS problem, but like john said, don't be quick to replace it, I paid almost $200 for mine, and didn't do it until I was SURE that it was the problem.

If the datalogger will not work on your car, get yourself a multimeter, preferably digital AND analog (craftsman makes a good one in an ABS case) but at the very least analog. Stick the probes of the multimeter in the appropriate holes in the TPS plug, and, with the car "on" open and close your throttle body, and watch the needle on the multimeter. If it sweeps in proportion to the degree that the throttle body is open, your TPS is fine. If it jumps around or drops voltage alltogether, you have a bad pot in the TPS and it needs to go.

The same procedure can be done for ay of the sensors on the car, just grab the electrical manual for the car and follow the troubloeshooting guidelines (they specify wat the various voltages and such should be).

If you get frustrated just remember that every problem on a car has a cause, you just have to find it. There is no voodoo, just be patient and you'll find it. Try everything thats free or cheap before buying sensors or an ecu.

Good luck, and happy hunting!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so is the TPS the plastic round black thing with a screw going in the top of it and in the bottom? to test it do i have to take it off? or do i disconnect the connectors? these questions are prolly kind of dumb, but i need to learn as much as i can. BTW how much do dataloggers or multimeters (whatever works on my car) cost?? thanx for everybodies help!

·
Wheee! 2 wheels is fun!
8,814 Posts
DONT mess with your TPS other than doing an ohms test as described in an earlier post. I'm certain that its NOT your problem.

Lack of maintenance can cause a while host of problems like you describe. It could be something simple like plugs and wires. If you havent cleaned your TB and tested and cleaned your IAC, you need to that first. Its more common for that to cause problems than any other especially idle problems.

-SP

1 - 18 of 18 Posts