Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tps when turned fully counterclockwise does not have continuity. Turn it clockwise a little and my meter beeps, indicating continuity. I tightened the tps down, took the .65mm feeler gauge out from the throttle, and the meter stopped beeping, which according to my meters manual, means no continuity. I used pins 3 and 4 on the tps during this test, and the car seems to run fine. According to what I gathered from the over 400 threads about tps adjustment, this is totally opposite of how the tps should be. Can anybody tell me if I'm just an idiot, or is this how it is supposed to be? Because I could swear all the threads about adjustment say to turn it until it LOSES continuity.

· Science, bitch!
1992 VR4
965 Posts
My tps when turned fully counterclockwise does not have continuity. Turn it clockwise a little and my meter beeps, indicating continuity. I tightened the tps down, took the .65mm feeler gauge out from the throttle, and the meter stopped beeping, which according to my meters manual, means no continuity. I used pins 3 and 4 on the tps during this test, and the car seems to run fine. According to what I gathered from the over 400 threads about tps adjustment, this is totally opposite of how the tps should be. Can anybody tell me if I'm just an idiot, or is this how it is supposed to be? Because I could swear all the threads about adjustment say to turn it until it LOSES continuity.
It sounds like you are doing the test correctly, but it's hard to verify anything without being there. Does the TPS lose continuity at any point while turning it clockwise?

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It sounds like you are doing the test correctly, but it's hard to verify anything without being there. Does the TPS lose continuity at any point while turning it clockwise?
But to answer, I don't know because once my meter beeped I tightened it down, thinking it beeps when continuity is lost. I didn't realize until later that my meter is backwards, and beeps when the circuit gains continuity.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, problem solved! I kept turning the tps past the point where it gained continuity until it lost continuity, tightened it down, and now the car is running better than it has in a long time! It shifts smoother, and has more power too! Thank you Beegeezy for the prod in the right direction!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts