Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Total Posts: 1,736,254
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toy'd around with a BPU (+ ??) Supra today on the 405 northbound around lunch time from Beach blvd. to the 605N. I was already going north on the 405 in lane #1 when I noticed him merging onto the freeway from Beach Blvd. I was looking in my rearview mirror to see what he did, and sure enough he spotted the big wing and merged 4 lanes at once to get into mine, just one car behind haha. At that point I knew it was on, but traffic was pretty heavy so I was dubious if we were gonna get to go at it anyway.

As for the MKIV, it was blue with a nice bodykit and hood, wide wheels (305's ?), a nice looking wing, and excellent flowing exhaust! I could tell because when I was behind him my cabin started smelling like freakin exhaust fumes. He was putting out quite a bit of smoke though between shifts so this might have been an unhealthy one, or running really rich, I dunno.

We never did get a chance to really go at it, but I wasn't really impressed. I just kept it in 4th most of the time between 75 and 100 while we did 1 or 2 spirts. The only time we were really side by side was when I was in the 3 lane and he was in the 4, I was ahead of him at first but stopped accelerating since there was a car in my lane ahead of me. He kept on it and went ahead, but stayed in the 4 lane and had to break pretty hard to keep from rear-ending a truck in his lane. After that traffic was pretty bad so nothing much happened then......finally, at the 605N ramp it cleared, so I merged into lane #1 and floored it (still in 4th tho), but he took the 605N! That sucked! I really wanted to see how my car performed next to a BPU MKIV at highway speeds. I don't even have exhaust, but like I said, when he was accelerating away from me earlier I wasn't too impressed.....unless he had it in 5th or something. His license plate read, "C PLUS M" or "M PLUS C" or something like that. Not sure what that means.

Anyway, it was almost a good race/test =\ If I would have known he was going to take the 605N I definitely would have followed him. I was on my lunch break heading to Popeye's and had already passed up my exit in hopes of getting a good run at him haha. Another 5 to 10 min.'s wouldn't have hurt ;)

·
This space for rent.
3,009 Posts
uhh . . . time to turn up the boost in that fine lookin' car too, Matt.

·
3.2.1.....Go!
2,370 Posts
How could you tell if it was BPU+?

·
This space for rent.
3,009 Posts
Quick VR-4

I dont want to speak for Matt, but I would imagine that with the Supra running so rich, it may have given him the idea of a poorly programmed fuel controller . . .

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Actually many BPU spurt smoke through the exhaust on start up and when they punch it. Although the fuel/boost can hold 18-20psi it wears the turbos out much quicker and the seals start to go. It doesn't hurt the power too much but I have seen five separate mid to high mileage supras do that on the dyno and street. None of them were running a fuel controller. Of course with my ARC-2, I do the same thing now. And BPU supras are sort of hit or miss. There is a large range for those cars depending on many factors. At the vegas meet dyno their was a solid 60+ rwhp difference from one BPU to the other (350rwhp-410rwhp) with similar mods. Most hit the 380rwhp mark.

·
Member 0564
1,915 Posts
Matt...first off you have one hell of a sweet ride. And second with your mods i'm sure you could of atleast kept up with him. I'm sure you know that generation is the fastest of them all, but it still would be close

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
its those damn wheels that's slowing you down! you ought to give them to me ;)

hey aren't HB cops really dick? when i went to traffic school half the bullshit tickets were from HB..this guy got like a ticket for b/c he was like 1 inch over the pedestrian line or some stupid thing like that :eek: ....i can't remember other things..but i heard they pretty bad about fixed up car too. they pulled my friend over for tint when his window was tinted like 35% or something...

·
Total Posts: 1,736,254
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup, HB cops are total DICKS. Have absolutely nothing better to do than operate j-walking stings (got caught in one of those back in 95, no joke :rolleyes: ), and hand out bs window tint tickets and shit (got one of those a year ago). Serve and protect my ass, more like annoy, harass and fine! :mad: It's one thing if you're speeding through a school zone or racing and they catch you, but window tint and j-walking? Shit. What a bunch of pathetic ass losers. I'm surprised they haven't gotten me for no front-license plate.....but I'm sure that's next. Bastards :mad:

I thought maybe it was BPU + because of the smoke and just from the looks of the car in general. I'm nearly 100% sure the guy had a FMIC and some other shit. It was probably a BPU+++ or something. He had thousands dumped into it on wheels alone, and it doesn't cost that much to go +++ on a MKIV. I know I would.

Later

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
You never know though. My roommate's Black 94 Turbo Supra (hardtop, 6 speed) has a front mount, 18 inch rims (18X10's in the rear) that is dropped and in perfect condition. It has a Greddy exhuast on it and it smokes on start up and when he punches it too. But his only HP mods are the front mount and a filter. We are adding a downpipe and boost soon but looks can be deceiving. His car looks so nice and fast that he gets a lot of attention and people trying to race him. But he really isn't much faster than stock so we are waiting until he is fully BPU to unleash him.

·
I have too many cars
369 Posts
I'm the one with the bent wheels, give em to me :) btw, really sweet car man!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts