Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
I wear a gorilla vest.
4,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
under hard acceleration in first gear, my car swerves wildly, usually to the right. i've heard of this called torque steer, but im not sure...any info or ways to fix this would be great
oh BTW, its a 95 SL, so no AWD or 4WS

·
W3Si member #010
1,765 Posts
i don't know if there is a way to stop it. I can tell you that most high hp cars have the same problem. Just about every dragster does as far as i know.

·
I wear a gorilla vest.
4,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh its that common huh...well at least its not just me heh, thanks for the info
must be what happened to the eclipse on F&F...or else just a shitty driver

·
W3Si member #010
1,765 Posts
In the F&F it was a combo of both. He was supposed to look like a beginer.

·
Registered
606 Posts
tourgue steer is only noticeable on FWD cars, and usually only pulls "wildly" as you say, when the car is producing alot of power. it's caused mainly by the fact that on most FWD cars one drive axle is longer than the other. when accelerating hard the longer axle pulls the car in that direction. Chrysler was really the first to deal with this with their many FWD turbo cars. they remmedied it in the late 80's by putting an intermediate shaft between the tranny and the far drive axle, making both drive axles the same length. i'm not sure if 3S's have equal length axles of not though.

anyhow, i'm not sure exactely how bad your tourque steer is, but if it's REALLY bad then you might wanna get your front end checked out (alignment/CV joints etc.)

R

·
0 Posts
That and the fact that it aint LSD which means your front drive car is really only one wheel drive. Which makes one wheel drive harder than the other

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Ok, I guess I'm a newbie here. What do FWD cars have? I can roach both front tires. I thought a car without a type of LSD could only burn up one tire? ( My friend had an old 68' V6 Mustang that would only burn one tire when he power braked it, no LSD, right? )

·
I wear a gorilla vest.
4,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
maybe "wildly" was the wrong word to use...suddenly and unexpectedly perhaps...anyways, it's not too much of a problem, i was just somewhat curious...and don't both front wheels pull the car on the 3000?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
i thought it is also due to the inability for both of the front tire to get traction under initial squad of the car?

R

·
0 Posts
Actually almost all cars made today except the top high performance ones do not have LSD.

Hell,4X4 trucks only really are 2 wheel drive. Unless you get a locking diff or diff locker (detroit locker). Ever see a normal 4X4 off road? When say the right rear tire comes off the ground what happens? The left rear don't grab tracktion and pull the truck...the right rear that is up starts to spin...

This is the same thing that most cars would do. They are more often then not NON lsd and run stronger on one wheel not both...

hope this helps...

·
Wizard of NOS
1,047 Posts
Mine is not so bad under normal driving conditions, it pulls a little.

My problem is when I turn the juice on! It will damn near yank you into the passenger seat. Ive got it set up to where I engage it a 3000 rpms in first. And it will bark the tires off, and pull again while shifting into second.

So if anyone finds a cure let me know, my left arm is now three inches longer then the right.
:p

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I guess I'm still lost on the LSD idea. Doesn't a LSD make both tires pull at the same time? Like if you are stuck in snow with a FWD car, both tires will spin. Unlike my 89' Full size RWD Chevy Conversion van, which if it's stuck, only one tire will spin. What is making my FWD car spin with both tires? Is it a type of LSD? But not a true LSD?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
no LSD will make your left tire rotate at a different speed then your right tire. this is very important while cornering b/c your inner tire will always spin faster than outter tire. when it comes to drag racing, LSD FWD car will usually leave only one tire mark behind when at the intial launch. they are called like one legged racer or something like that...very weird.

but yea..supposly they will help with the torque steer problem. i'm not all too sure and correct me if i'm wrong but i'm assuming that when a FWD car is under heavy acceleration, all your weight is shifted into the rear, thus making the front loose a bit of traction, and without even contact patch the the front tires will start to go crazy and your car will not go straight. LSD compenstate for that and make at least one of the wheel grip until the other can get traction. that's what i'm assuming...maybe someone else can answer it better

·
The Blank Man
1,161 Posts
LSD= When one tire looses traction, power will be applied to the other tire with traction... you say that one tire on your conversion van spins, that is without an LSD, if it had an LSD, the other tire would pick up the slack and keep you from getting stuck

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
From what I've read from previous posts our cars are setup to send more power to the wheel with the least amount of traction... seems kinda backwards huh? The LSD (limited slip differential) fixes that. It's also something like $1000.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts