Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey,since i have a auto,im gonna get the viper chip,UDP,and intake..was thinking about getting the torque converter,wondering if i have to send mine in,or i could just buy a new one?and if so,where can i buy a new one at? thanks

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I would forget about that viper chip. I never really heard of it, and it probably won't do anything for your car. The TC is a good mod for the Auto tranny's, however, when you install it you should also by a shift kit and end clutch. Check out Level10.com for some info on all of this. The TC will only help you with your 60ft, you won't really notice anything after that. This is an expensive mod. It you have low miles on your Auto tranny I say go for it, if not, wait until your tranny goes then install a manual.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
well from what LevelTen has said you would have to send yours in and they modify that one. Put you could get on from Protorque.com and have somebody nearby install it for you if you cant do it yourself. Take it to a mechanic if you have too. It is a rough job. Also if you get a Torque Converter than you might as well get a Tranny Cooler too. My .02 cents. ;)

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
ShawnE94sL said:
This is an expensive mod. It you have low miles on your Auto tranny I say go for it, if not, wait until your tranny goes then install a manual.
Yes I agreeeeeee. ;) . I only have about 31K on my car so I am looking into it also. But now my money has to go for my Veilside Rear Bumper since my stock one got smashed inward. ;)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry bout the accident.next time dont drive into reverse while running over children.jk but okay,i wont get the TC,i just want spend a lil money to give my car a lil more umph..i heard the chip was good for the autos..when accelerating,you dont wait a second for it to downshift,it kicks in right away

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Dont you mean the Venom 400 Module???? That is what gets rid of that dreaded 1 sec delay. Look into it. ;)

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
The venom chip is a joke.If you want your tranny to shift up or down instantly as well as shift firm you need to buy a shift kit.Mine was $50.00 and I installed it myself.I think that there is someone on the d.s.m. board that offers the service for about $200.00 including the kit.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh wow,where can i buy the shift kit at?i looked at the board before lookin for it and i got no such luck:(

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Level 10 makes a shift kit. You may want to check out their web site.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
I got the shift kit from my local speed shop.Its the Trans.lab TL-175 valve body up-grade.You may want to call Translab Product Support at 626-969-8758 and see if they sell to the public or can give you a dealer.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Translab Shift Kit

I've been looking all over for this kit. I called the phone # in this thread and the guy who answered was very cool. They will sell to individuals but only by check/money order (they usually deal with big orders that pay via check). Mail them a check or money order ahead of time and they'll ship the shift kit to you for $75. It's another $75 for the clutch-end pack (increases longevity of tranny). WELL worth it I believe and MUCH cheaper than similar products offered elsewhere for 3000GTs. They recommend DunRite for torque converters. Anyway having my tranny rebuilt in a few weeks and will be ordering the shift kit and clutch end pack from TransLab and a B&M tranny cooler from Checker ($50). I'll post the results.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
The shift kit will install with the tranny still in the car you just remove the valve body.The instructions are very clear.I will say to install the red (firmest) spring (all color coded) and have it adjusted about 3 turns in from the baseline starting point listed in the instructions.I installed the mid-weight spring and wasn't happy.You have to remove the tranny pan to make the adjustment and you loose all of your fluid plus its a P.I.T.A.If you get it close the first time then you won't have to adjust it but maybe once to dial it in.If you get a converter from
dun-rightconverters.com ask for Tony.My converter was done by Performance Torque Converters in Alabama.I can post that # tomorrow.Once you get the shift kit adjusted to your driving needs its like a different car.At low R.P.M. normal accelleration it is a bit firmer-crisp. But with your foot in it :D I have nailed the 1-2 shift at redline and had tire spin not just a chirp but serious grasping for traction.I know the auto tranny wasn't made for that so I don't abuse it all the time but it for all around responsiveness and driving its a great mod.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Yes ,you just have to remove the valve body.To replace the Torque converter you have to seperate the engine from the tranny.My total cost was $50.00 for the shift kit,$210.00 for the Torque converter (included shipping both ways.) and $40.00 for the trans cooler.$40.00 for a machinist set of drill bits(you must have these) $28.00 for a trans filter.$50.00 for the trick shift fluid.So about $418.00 total including fluid,tools,filter.I have known the guy who runs our speed shop for 20 years so he gave me a great deal on the parts.Even if you paid retail the shift kit should only be $75.00 and you should be able to get a converter for around $300.00

·
Registered
149 Posts
Cost of AUTO tranny upgrade

I'm having these upgrades done during my transmission rebuild. The guy is very reasonable and I don't think he'll charge me much, if any extra to do the shift kit, trans cooler, and clutch end pack. If you're in AZ I'm sure he'd do it for you for a reasonable amount but I don't know how much that would be. If you're not in AZ your best bet is to call some transmission shops and ask them.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts