Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Aghhhh
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently pulled out the motor in my 91 ES. Removing the tranny wasn't hard. I only needed a good assortment of wrenches and a small pry bar. The tranny slid right off. Make sure you have a jack stand or chain fall to support the transmission while you remove the mounts and bolts. Be careful when you seperate the steering knuckle from the lower "A" arm. You'll probably split the dust boots on the ball joints. They're only about $5 to replace though. As far as removing the rear output shaft, I can't help there. I can't see it being too hard though. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
Don't really need any special tools to replace tranny like Gatecrasher mentioned. On seperating the outer tie rod from the a-arm just loosen tie rod nut until almost off and hit on side of control arm with a hammer and the joint will pop out- a whole lot less damaging then using seperator fork.
Would recommend get proper size clutch align tool as they are hard to find for tturbo clutch sets and may have to special order- I ended up having to make my own- worth ordering(around $5).

·
Mmmmm, Boooooost!
1,563 Posts
This is a question for all of you out there who've replaced the 5-speed in a 91-93R/T TT or VR-4. I'm about to embark in the removal and replacement of mine (1992 R/T TT) and want to know if there's any special tools that i'll need to get before I embark on my never ending journey into the heart of our beasts? I've already got a full set of tools for replacement of just about everything on a vette (91 and 86) but wanted to check with the experts first to make sure nothing's goofy with our 3Si's. Thanks for all of your help.

Damon Rachell
1992 Pearl R/T TT

1 - 3 of 3 Posts