Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my tranny apart today and the results are the roller bearing with those small rollers caged in the bearing must have broke. From what I see just looking at the gears and syncros they are fine but I found a few small peices of metal at the bottom from the cage of the bearing. I can hear the balls moving around under the gears with no shaft on it, that would be the one in the middle. Its the bearing thats inbetween the back of the case and the bottom of the gear assembly. I think I'm going to have to take the input shaft out to take the middle gear assembly out. Elmo stated that this might be the problem and it is. Now where can I purchase one of these bearings, or can I?

·
You break em, we fix em
1,266 Posts
Take the remains of the bearing and the race (outer part it rides on) which have the numbers on them to anywhere that sells bearings. All bearings are basically standard, they are sold by id, od, width basically. A good bearing place can either look up the numbers, or if not readable just measure and sell you a replacement.

I go to Wisconsin Bearing/Motion industires in Racine, WI they sell bearings and seals to industry all over wisconsin.

·
You break em, we fix em
1,266 Posts
By the way, this stuff is cheap for instance all the bearings and seals to rebuild my transfer case cost like $65. Don't fall for any of the Mitsubishi/Dodge crap that none of the parts are available for replacement!

If you can't find a bearing place in your local yellow pages, call Frank at Kormex he can probably help you too.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank Jim, I'll do that tomorrow. I wonder if this is common for the bearing cage to break like that?

·
no speed limits here
3,438 Posts
R/T,

Good job! You wasted no time tearing that tranny apart. Did you run into any particular problems getting there?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What's up Black, no I did'nt have any problems I just need to buy the right size hex key to take this input shaft out. Are these bearings pressed on the shaft?

·
no speed limits here
3,438 Posts
I have not been in my tranny...yet. I'm just gathering information for the inevitable. :( There are a lot of old posts from moparjim and Frank Martin regarding the inner workings of our trannies. I think I remember reading something about the bearings being pressed on the shaft. Try doing a search.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts