BTEX is the abbreviation used for
four compounds found in petroleum
products: (% by weight)

Here is Gasoline:

benzene 11%
toluene 26%
xylene 52%
ethylbenzene 11%

As you can see it is allready 26% of normal gasoline. Mixing with Type III Automatic Transmission Fluid (for buffer and lubricant) which has an equivilant octane rating of 93.6 (an extrapolated figure based on the combustibility of ATF under cylinder-ignition conditions).

People using 1 gallon per tank full are reporting incredible results. Common ingredient in Octane Boosters in a can. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, I.e. from 92 to 92.3. Often costs $3-5 for 12-16 ounces, when it can be purchased for less than $3/gal at chemical supply houses or paint stores.

It's large part of gasoline allready. And for F/I cars like ours (vr4 and tt) it can REALLY help!

http://home.kscable.com/ssutton/miata/engine/toluene.html

http://home.earthlink.net/~galiagante/house-booster.html

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Just be careful and do your homework.

I worked around most of these chemicals when I worked in the paint equipment business (the big systems used to paint car bodies at the factories, etc.). These chemicals are used to thin solvent based paints.

They are carcinogenic and fairly toxic. They are highly flammable and since they are aromatic will create ignitable vapor.

You don't want to come in prolonged contact with these (skin or breathing). You must be careful how you dispose of them if this becomes necessary (they will contaminate ground water).

The amounts needed in fuels have to be carefully balanced. Too much and you'll create combustion problems. You can also cause a hotter burn which your engine isn't designed for.

I fooled around with Toluene, Xylene and Isoctane blends in the late 70's and early 80's when I had ready access to this stuff. I never felt it accomplished much. Bear in mind these were not today's EFI cars.

I'm not saying don't. I am saying be careful for your health, safety and car. Make sure you know what your doing in great detail.

Chris
1994 VR4

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Just another thought...

Naphthaline is also quite like gasoline. I wouldn't try using it until someone had tested it, but it's quite a bit more flammable, and quite resistant to detonation (I can't light it on fire with a cigarette, that's for sure). Some of the chemicals that we use in our detail shop are Toluene (basically paint thinner) and Naphthaline (tire shine).

Just a thought :)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
toluene is allready 26% of what gasoline is made of, so it is allready in there!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
The fact that toluene is used as an additive in gasoline doesn't change the reasons to be concerned. Increasing the concentration of toluene without regard to balancing it with other additives will not improve performance or gas milage.

The point is that just because some of it can be good doesn't mean increasing it will make for better results. There is a reason for the amount and proportion of toluene used in blending commercial gasoline.

Chris
1994 VR4

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
toluene is also the main ingrediant in most octane boosters, so when using them you are just putin toluene in your tank...Just trying to figure it all out, an expert I am not

1 - 6 of 6 Posts