Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just wondering how hard it is to do, and about how many hours it takes. i'm doing the swap in my auto tech class and i only have 3 hours a day. i already have all the parts expect the transmission.:mitsu:

·
Large Member
6,163 Posts
it's not hard.. I did it in my driveway, with basic hand tools. As far as time goes.. you should be able to do it in a few days if you can work on it for 3 hours at a time. It took me quite a while for several reasons... 1) I was limited to maybe an hour a day to work on it... 2) Weather.. working outside means you can't work when it rains, etc... 3) I was going to school full time and working full time.. homework came first

Also, to make it go faster and smoother.. make sure you double check that you have ALLLL the parts.. I also got held back a little because I'd get to a certain point and realize that I was missing something, and I had to order it from the Mitsu dealer and it took a couple days to get it in..

Good luck :)

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanx for the info. i have another queston. will a tranny from any year fit my car or will i have to get a 92 tranny?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Yep, dropped it off last evening.

·
Large Member
6,163 Posts
The ECU has no bearing on what year tranny you put in there.. the tranny is not controlled by the ECU in any way.

That said, you do need to make sure that the tranny you get will fit. If you have a 1991 or 1992, you have to get a tranny from those years.. and if you have a 1993 or newer, you have to get a tranny from those years..

However.. if you have, say, a 1993, and you get a tranny from a 1992, you have to swap the axles out to fit with the 1992 tranny. That's what I had to do.. So if you have a 1992, and you get a tranny from a 1993, you need the axles from a 1993 or newer car to make it work...

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Yo Bullet...I thought they chaged ECUs to OBDI/OBDII hybrids, and than to OBDII? Doesn't that chage some of the wirring on the wiring harness? Thats the main reason why I said get the ECU from the year of car the tranny is off of, that way theres no confusion in wiring.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
The auto tranny is controlled by its seperate computer the manual just doesn't care.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
SilverBullet said:
The ECU has no bearing on what year tranny you put in there.. the tranny is not controlled by the ECU in any way.

That said, you do need to make sure that the tranny you get will fit. If you have a 1991 or 1992, you have to get a tranny from those years.. and if you have a 1993 or newer, you have to get a tranny from those years..

However.. if you have, say, a 1993, and you get a tranny from a 1992, you have to swap the axles out to fit with the 1992 tranny. That's what I had to do.. So if you have a 1992, and you get a tranny from a 1993, you need the axles from a 1993 or newer car to make it work...
Actually, you only need to change the intermediate shaft. All the axle shafts are the same from teh auto's and manual, and all years. Its just that the intermediate shaft changed for the 2nd gens 6/93 and up. You will also need the little mounting bracket that the intermediate shaft goes into and bolts to the block.

We are doing one right now on Matt's (Copper2002) car. SHould be done later this week. And Leland, you know good and hell well that it aint no easy in your driveway with basic handtools job. I couldn't imagine doing that without air tools dude. That's just insane ;)

Ty
Speed Factor

1 - 13 of 13 Posts