Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently pu on my vr4 exhaust and i was wondering.....is yours really loud at 2k rpms or what? mine is like too loud, do you think there is anything i can do to quiet it down a bit? and exhaust only comes out of the drivers side tips when in sport mode.......does that make sense? also if i put a test pipe in what can i do to silence the whole exhaust? maybe put it in tour mode?
thanx
luigi

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I know a few people that have done this, why, I have no idea. It's to loud and it doesn't really do anything.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
put my res back on?

·
Native
3,894 Posts
HEY YOU!! WHAT'S WRONG WITH TT EXHAUST!!!!:p

Sport mode is for the noise, by forcing all the exhaust out the muffler it gets louder and therefore "sportier"

Tour opens up the other pipe and gives you less restriction, and less noise - more appropriate for touring.

Oddly though, my exhaust is louder when in tour, go figure

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
any other suggestions?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how loud do you think itll be with a test pipe in tour mode?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ttt

·
Native
3,894 Posts
With a Test pipe, I bet you'd sound farty, cause then you'd have almost straight pipes. The muffler would be the only thing quieting you down.

·
Banned
762 Posts
I have a TT exhaust on my car, including the cat from a TT (little modification to get it to fit). I love the sound, I know what you mean, it does get louder at certain rpm's. I love each and every sound it makes, sometimes I will just drive with my radio off to listen to the car. Putting a test pipe on will probbably make it sound a bit ricey, however I think suthnr has it (I think, but am never good at thinking), and it sounded very good. Up to you man, give it a try.

·
Large Member
6,163 Posts
I have a TT exhaust on my n/a.. it sounds bad ass.. it is at tad loud at certain RPM's, but if you know how to work the gas, you can keep it quiet.. I can drive my car and it sounds like a Honduh because I can't hear the exhaust at all, that is until I get on it ;)

and no, DON'T get a test-pipe.. SUTHNR has one on his R/T and (no offense Eric) I think it sounds like shit.. way too loud and obnoxious.. but some people like it that way.. so if you think your exhaust is loud now, just wait and see what the test pipe does..

·
Premium Member
4,769 Posts
With the test pipe in there with the TT exhaust, it is VERY loud when I go open throttle. But just cruising around town, it's louder, but not as obnoxious as when I'm WOT. And it does have a really nice burble when idling, and sounds great at 2k-3k when cruising around. It's the wide open that gets fiercly loud and can be obnoxious to some. I've gotten used to it. But it only takes me 45 minutes and I can put the stock cat back in there to quiet things down.

And besides, it LOOKS a whole lot better with a dual exhaust than with the single. Something about balance. :)

EricB

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
personally i think its a little too loud now as it is and im not putting the test pipe on for sound, its more or a power gain to me. i just dont know if i put the test pipe on and put it to tour mode if it will sound good or what. i dont know if youve tried that eric. and is there any way to quiet it down a little, because i love it at idle and at 2500 and up but when i speed up from a stop sign and im driving at 2k its so obnoxious.
thanx
luigi
btw: eric have you been getting my emails or are they somehow not making it to you? or are you just not checkin your mail?;)

·
Registered
724 Posts
I like my VR4 exhaust. It sounds good and isnt raspy like most hondas.

I wanted to get a test pipe and see how it feels at the top end, I hear it takes some of the low end out though.

·
Premium Member
4,769 Posts
Luigi, yeah the emails have been making it thru, and I've been responding whe nI can, but I've been working a buttload of hours and don't get to spend lots of time on the computer - today is a day off - first in about 9 days.

Anyway, I've tried all avenues of the TT exhaust on the DOHC NA. Stock NA, stock TT with cat in tour and sport mode, stock TT without cat in tour and sport mode. Granted as far as track time is concerned, I've still got more testing I wanna do.

As for power, the TT exhaust performs better than the stock exhaust across the board. I didn't lose any low end and gained top end. This was evident in some stoplight runs and roling runs against someone I had previously done the same runs against. It went from me taking him off the line and him slowly pulling on my to me taking him off the line and slowly pulling on him.

Now with at the track, I got some confirmation with actual times. I've run my fastest times with the test pipe. BUT my 60' times are off regularly by about a 10th with the test pipe in there (no cat). I have lots of 2.3x 60' times with the stock NA cat in there, and don't think there are ANY (maybe a 2.39) 2.3x 60' times with the test pipe in there. I closed the valve with the test pipe in there (i.e., tour mode) and 60' times were at 2.5. I've done a lot of work and upgrades to my car recently and only had one trip to the track after doingthe mods, so haven't had the cance to really get the feel for the car in it's current state. But these numbers are pre-major mods, and dealt pretty much only with the exhaust and cat.

The test pipe does help on the high end, but you lose some of the low-end. Does it help more than just using the cat? Well maybe a little on the mid and top, but you definitely lose some of the bottom pull/launch as was blatantly evident with my 60' times at the track.

The car is definietly louder with the TT exhaust than the stock (you can actually tell the car is running!). Adding the test pipe in there SIGNIFICANTLY increases the volume of the exhaust. It has a lounder rumble/burble at idle, and sounds very nice, and in the mid range just running around town (2-4k not wide open) it sounds great. Mash that pedal down and wind it out to 7k thru first and second gear and the whole neighborhood will know it's you. But sound is all a matter of preference. :)

I already have the actibe exhaust motor ready to install, and am just waiting on a switch to do the installation (hopefully it's that easy). But I'm gonna attempt to run full active exhaust (at least controllable/switchable) so I can test without having to reach in there and unattach or reattach the cable holding the valve.

I'm actually intending to record some more sound clips for my website of the exhaust as it sounds from INSIDE the car. Those clips on the webpage had the microphone about 6 feet behind the car, centered and pointed toward thhe car.

Hope this helps out some. Here's the page about my exhaust:
http://www.suthnr.com/garage/mods/exhaust/index.html

EricB

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
how did it sound with the test pipe and in tour? is it expensive and/or hard to add the switch, if not i may plan on doing it myself since it is such a pain.
luigi

·
Premium Member
4,769 Posts
It's actually a bit too much on the whiney side with the test pipe and tour mode. My main reason for wanting the active exhaust switch is to be able to possibly help with racing. Goal is to start the launch with it in tour mode (hopefully it'll give me back some of the back pressure and low end to improve the 60' times) and then open it up to sport mode for the high-end part of the run. This is all theory of course, I'll be able to try things out once I have it installed. I haven't really run around with the valve closed and no cat so can't say much about how it sounds in general. I did make a couple runs down the strip with it closed and it was loud but didn't sound all that great. With the active exhaust installed, I'll be able to get a better idea of what it sounds like and how it runs.

Since I haven't added it yet, I can't say how it is to install... :)

EricB

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.