Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Blingin' Board User
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toyo proxes.. or pirelli p zero's.. both seem to be good tires. Also, which ones would cost more? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I have Toyo Proxes T1-S tires (255/35/19). I like them a lot. I wanted the best tires I could get for wet road handling and these came out the best in several surveys.

Mine are obviously a large size and so I'm not sure the $300/tire cost is a good point of comparison. Anything in this size seems to run $275 and up.

They have a 280 treadwear rating. AA traction, A temperature.

They are very quiet, at least compared to the Michelin XGT's I had before them.

The Pirelli's didn't far as well on wet weather performance, are noisier and have lower treadwear numbers. You weren't specific so I'll assume you are talking about the newest (Rosso) version of the PZero. They do have very good dry performance numbers.

Prices seem to be similar (can't compare because you didn't specify the size).

Chris
1994 VR4

·
Registered
466 Posts
toyo's are prettier and perelli's burn up more quickly

·
Registered
137 Posts
Toyo Proxy T1-S... really good in the rain! Excellent tread wear rating. Pirelli's have been around for a long time and for a while, they had an exclusive market for larger tires. They also tend to wear out faster.

Mike

245/40/18

·
Registered
44 Posts
mchan

mchan, how much did u pay for your toyos? 18"

·
I need more cars
2,360 Posts
Check out Nitto NT-555's before you buy. Good tire, low cost.

·
I love the 1st gens..
2,282 Posts
Highly recommend the Toyo's. I have the Proxes FZ4
tires and I love them. I have seen nightmares with the sides giving out on Nitto's. And the Pirelli's
that come on the Italian exotics are usually the Pirelli P-Zero's. Which are quite expensive...

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
bwahahahahha kumhos?????? you might as well go out and pick up 4 futura tires at Pep Boys.
heres the download:
Michelin tires are good if you're looking for just touring.
Pirelli's (P-zero) which are quite expensive (depending on tire size) are excellent tires, grips great and handles great but quite loud, the only down fall is they wear out quicker
Toyos are a bit overrated, but good tires overall
Nitto's are superb tires, not too expensive and handles great.
have heard great things about the NT555. If I'm correct I believe that style is no longer available. but that is the tire to go with, money wise if you don't have the cash for the Pirelli P-zeros

·
Hail to the King, Baby
1,064 Posts
hey needforspeed, all the stuff I've seen in tests show the kumhos as good as tires twice as much. Your post seems pretty riddled with stereotypes and generalizations.

The Michelin XGT Z4s on my SL are nice, I like em. They're 16"s, really good wet, I bet I could find better dry. Came with the car almost new, otherwise I think I would've picked Kumhos.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
hmmmm......well lets see dabigv13.
well lets put my riddles with generaliztion and stereotypes to the test. how many porsches and ferraris do you see with kumhos. Exactly, point proven.
thank you.

·
Hail to the King, Baby
1,064 Posts
That seems pretty stupid. How can you compare a Ferrari or a Porsche to a NA 3S? I like my car, but hey, its no 360 Modena. If you have the money for a Ferrari, you're gonna go with the best tire money can buy (or the most expensive for bragging rights). If you want that Mitsu3kgtSL, go for a Pirelli PZero. I'm sure it's better than the Kumho's, but is it worth paying 3 times as much? I doubt you'd notice the difference, except maybe a lighter wallet. Just my humble opinion.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
usually one doesn't see kumho's on road cars. in fact, just about the only time i've seen people run on them is at scca auto-x events. then again, i drove a friends talon tsi on kumho ecstas (??) and they handled AMAZINGLY!!! (i've driven it on the stock tires too, which is why i have a base for comparison)

~matt

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
for arguments sake you're right dabigv13......i'm an idiot, what was i thinking, only people who have $80,000 cars can afford expensive tires.. I guess thats why some peeps who have a 3k gt have spent over $10,000 on mods... its all about preference man. I'm not knocking on kumhos, their great tires, but come on man if you own a 3k gt wouldn't you also want the best for your baby too.

hey psst. mitsu3kgtsl go with the pirelli P-zero but don't tell dabigv13 I told you.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Dunlop SP Sport 9000 :cool: .... but i have a turbo

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
You need to do your homework first.

Know what you need. The Nitto's performed very poorly in wet weather as did the Pirelli's (some versions of the PZero got unacceptable hydroplaning ratings). Remeber that the PZero is made in three versions so if your looking at them know which one you are evaluating.

If all you care about is dry traction the BFG KD's come out the best of the street (non drag radial) tires.

I spent months researching tires and price was not an object (you can't be overly price concerned when your buying 19" tires). I expected to buy Bridgestone SO2's then I planned to go to SO3's when they came out. I looked at Michelin, Pirelli, Nitto, BFG, Dunlop and Yokohama. Only by chance did I discover that the Toyo's bested all of them in wet weather performance and had comparable dry performance. I was pleasantly surprised by the wear ratings and the quiet ride. Another bonus was the light weight of tires for such a large size (2 lbs. a tire lighter than the Michelin's and still a Y rated (highest) model.

FYI- Kumho and Sumitomo get reasonably good marks for performance and wear plus are much lower in price but they don't make them in my size so I didn't give them lengthy consideration.

But you have to know what matters to you. If price is important and you can get the Kuhmo's or Sumitomo's in your size this could well make sense, a lot of people here like them. The Nitto's and the BFG's do very well in dry handling. If you expect to encounter frequent snow you may want to look at the all season Michelin's.

Asking opinions here is a good thing just add the data you collect to the research you do. And most of all pick a tire that matches your needs, not the one most people like unless it has the characteristics you need.

Chris
1994 VR4

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
for what it's worth I run pirelli p6000's on stock 16" rims (on there when i bought the car) and the wet weather performance is reallly damn good. The only problem I have with them is they are a little on the noisy side, but they grip really well, no matter how insane I drive (even when its wet). And on the rare occasion they spin on me, they just spin, i dont fishtail or anything.

~matt

·
Registered
137 Posts
jclegg42002 - Toyo Pricing

Sorry, I got this in a package deal with my rims. Even if I did find pricing for you, it would be in Canadian Dollars.

I wouldn't expect them to be more expensive than Bridgestone or Pirelli.

Determine what you need first and what you can afford first.

I've seen a few TT's here in Toronto with All Season tires.

Good luck,

Mike

1 - 20 of 36 Posts