Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my tires have been wearing from the inside on both the rear and front tires on my 95’ Dodge Stealth r/t auto. Could this have something to do with the suspension or the camber of the car? Im not too familiar on how cambers work and what they have to be set at so dont be too harsh on me 😅. And if it is the Camber could this only be done at a tire shop? I might take it into one but dont want them to suggest replacing suspension parts if i dont have too. So what are some things i should look out for and things they might suggest to change that i might not need replaced. Thanks 🙏🏽

·
Registered
577 Posts
Yup, camber. Camber is basically the "tilt" of the tire, just google it. Sounds like you have too much camber - a little is usally a good thing for handling, but too much and you get that tire wear. You shouldn't need to replace anything (unless bushings, etc, are totally shot), a simple alignment might do the trick. Alignments are best performed on the specialized equipment and aren't really a DIY. Almost all places offer a free alignment "check" and there are often coupons for alignments in the $60-100 range. Don't let them talk you into things you dont need, and you can always ask to see the actual screen or printout of the before and after adjustment specs relative to factory settings.

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
This is a toe problem, not a camber problem, you'd have to run about -15 degrees for it to wear out only the edge.

get an alignment

·
Premium Member
6,839 Posts
It's toe'd out... Look for worn components like bad ball joints or control arm bushings that could be causing toe change while driving, but if everything is solid, it needs an alignment.

·
Registered
577 Posts
This is a toe problem, not a camber problem, you'd have to run about -15 degrees for it to wear out only the edge.

get an alignment
Depends how bad the edge wear is compared to the middle. My tires have almost always worn faster in the inside edge due to camber when toe/caster are in spec. Now im not talking about balding there versus a new looking tire elsewhere, just relatively faster wear in the inside edge.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

get an alignment
i just posted a picture of how bad it is balding on the inside only on both the Front and Rear tires. And none of my control arm bushings are bad and ball joints are good as well. But Im pretty sure i know what caused my tires to wear like this and its my fault 🤦🏽‍♂️. 2-3 years ago i was in College playing baseball and working at the same time so my schedule was TIGHT. And i needed new tires for my car, so i told my dad if he can drive my car to the regular tire shop we always go to and if he can get me some new tires on the car but this shop didnt do alignments. They only did tire installations and balancing. So i was dumb and never asked my dad if he got an alignment for the tires as well and now it bit me in the ass cause all of my tires wore unevenly 🤦🏽‍♂️ And now i have to get new tires and an alignment 😅

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Depends how bad the edge wear is compared to the middle. My tires have almost always worn faster in the inside edge due to camber when toe/caster are in spec. Now im not talking about balding there versus a new looking tire elsewhere, just relatively faster wear in the inside edge.
Yeah i posted a pic of how bad the uneven wear was on the inside only of all of my tires up there^ and the possible reason to why my tires wore unevenly 😅

·
Keep'n 'em spooled
2,454 Posts

get an alignment
You're both right. In this case the pic from the OP shows this is toe misalignment. But I've also gotten inside edge wear putting lots of street miles on a setup with less than -2 deg negative camber. So much so that I remounted the tires from the left side to the right side and vice versa to get more miles out of them before needing to replace them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts