Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am a mitsu tech in ny and i have a 1991 vr4 that makes pretty good power. as you all know, the output shaft is the weak link to getting this power to the road. what good is an all wheel drive without pulling rippin holeshots?? i am on my 3rd $300 dollar output shaft. they last a few runs then break. right now ive been running the 18 spline, i know the later ones have the large 25 spline. before working for mitsu, i was a machinist for a race engine shop( thats how i tricked out my own engine) i have the connections to people that can make a shaft out of super alloys used in top fuel trans and axles. this shaft can be up to 10 times stronger than the carbon steel shaft thats in there. ive tried shotpeening heat treating etc. in the end its still carbon steel and breaks. i am getting one made for my car now and i will post the results. what i want to know is who else with 18 spline shafts would be interested in one of these?? it will be cheaper than getting a 25 spline trans and transfer. i also know how to change them in the car in 2 hrs!! (from all of my practice since mine always breaks)

the same can be done for the 25 splines! just think... no breakage or worn splines again!! ill try mine first!

·
chunsangp
3,556 Posts
nice to hear that. Let us know how it goes

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes i will let you guys know pricing soon. since this is not an easy task, i may have a few made to cut cost. ill have to take the brunt of the cost on the first one but then ill see what i can do

·
Registered
275 Posts
Where abouts are you located?

D

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
What are you using for output shafts now ---- used stock shafts or the hardened aftermarket one ????

Jim Berry

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Where in NY are you? I'm considering a full Kormex rebuild right now for myself but if I can just get your output shaft and their synchro's and have an experienced tranny guy (you :) do the work I'd probably be just as satisfied and potentially better off. Let me know dude because I have money and really want to fix my car. =)

·
Speed Junkie
988 Posts
Im interested and Im in ny. Lemme know whats up... and if you need a first gen dodge stealth TT to test on

·
Registered
856 Posts
heh - sweeeeet
i love seeing progress in the field of "vr-4's kicking the shit out of supras"

.jon

·
resident evil
17,080 Posts
Then, all the VR-4 needs is an air-locker for the front diff and we are all set.

Sam

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the shafts i am using now are stock getrag replacements. they break so easily that using the same type of material and hardening would never work. that is why a new material is needed to last.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Why don't you also consider selling them through Kormex? I'm sure they would up the ante'

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Selling them through Kormex would also open the field so to speak. Who ever wanted it could get it through Kormex very easily. That would: #1 Net you quite a bit of profit. #2 Allow everyone who wanted or needed one (even down the road from now) to get their hands on it, whenever necessary.

·
resident evil
17,080 Posts
If we are talking about less then $300 each, I am in for a 25 spline one too. Besides the synchros, what would normally break next?? Just curious, becuase it might be cheaper to let the output shaft break first before another more expensive component that might go next

Sam

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yes all of that is definitly a possibility. i have already spoke with frank of the idea. im not here for a sales pitch nor do i want to compete with trans shops. the problem is, i need one of these and they dont exist, so i have to make one which i am doing so now. i am going to test this in my own car and see if i can go 1.5 60fts without breaking it. if so, i want to see who else is into somthing like this so i can tell how many to make. the more i have done, the far cheaper they will be. ive done alot of racing with this car, and the only thing that ever breaks is that shaft. remember, on AWD rippin 60's win big street races!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Definitely in

If the price can creap below 300$ i am definitely in!!

D

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I'd still like to hear from someone else who broke one ---- I've heard of the shaft wearing and finally stripping but I don't recall people complaining of the shaft breaking. If it's a wear issue then just surface hardning would work, if the shaft is snapping that's a different issue.

Jim Berry

1 - 20 of 33 Posts