Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holy crap, was that the most miserable experience of my life. Started Sat. spent 3 hours on my passenger side window. Got the tint off, could not get the adhesive off to save my life. Tried razors, blades, tint removal solution, ammonia, heat, nothing that shit was stuck!

Moved to the passenger side quarter window, would not peel at all. Scraped at that shit for 2 hours with a blade, leaving behind a window foggy with adhesive. Not to mention, scraping the tint off the window sounded worse than nails on a blackboard. Not pleasing to the eyes or ears, plus that solution stinks!

Gave up. Took it into a local tint shop who graciously removed the remaining film and adhesive for $65. Unfortunately, defroster lines could not be saved (as expected). But, hey, my windows are clean, and I'm loving being able to see at night! :D

LESSONS LEARNED:
- Do not try this at home, total waste of time
- Do not buy tint without a lifetime warranty (nothing but Titanium). At least if it starts bubbling or turning purple, they are responsible for fixing it, not your wallet. I knew this all along, but the previous owner of my car obviously didn't. :mad:

·
Premium Member
1,353 Posts
It's not always that bad...

This subject has come up relatively often, and I'm usually the one to chime in that it isn't too bad a job. At least it wasn't for me. There is a fair amount of stuff in the archive if you search on tint and removal, I bet.

Sorry to hear yours was a pain in the ass, others of us have been a bit luckier.

Hal

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It may be because it was caked on for several years. I bought the car last spring and it was purple. Due to my student budget, I had to postpone tint work, so I'm sure two Dallas summers didn't help (even though she is garaged most of the time!)

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
I can't believe you actually used a razor blade or other scraping item on your rear window. You actually thought about the tint removal process and made a conscious decision to destroy the defroster grid? You got bigger marbles than I do!

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
So how does the tint shops do it?

I need mine redone. I have a life time warranty and its turning purple but of course the tint shop said the warranty doesn't cover the fading :(

-Jeff

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
John M said:
I can't believe you actually used a razor blade or other scraping item on your rear window. You actually thought about the tint removal process and made a conscious decision to destroy the defroster grid? You got bigger marbles than I do!
I didn't destroy the rear defroster. I gave up before even starting the back window!:mad: The tint guys told me they would try to save it, but there ended up being nothing in the end. What can I do??

Darktrail, what's the point of the warranty if they don't cover fading?? That makes no sense to me. I would seriously raise issues with their management and see what's up.

They remove the tint with steamers and all these fancy tools that supposedly make life easier. However, it still took them 3 hours to do my back and one quarter window!Like I said, nasty nasty job!

C

·
0 Posts
Most places only cover bubbling or peeling. 3M tint doesn't fade (turn purple) unlike the other brands of tint, only drawback is that it has a bluish tint instead of the charcoal/grey color all the other brands have.

·
Dog Is My Co-Pilot
4,082 Posts
Hmmm - $65 doesn't sound too bad if its that much of a pita.
After 10 yrs or so my tint is starting to bubble (only slightly turning purple - not too bad IMO.) I've been told that metallic tints are the only way to avoid the fading to purple, but they will probably mess up rear reception if I were to get a Valentine 1. I'm not looking forward to getting my windows re-tinted. :(

·
Registered
18,548 Posts
when i did it, it wasnt that hard. goo-gone, simple green, razor blades (stainless wont scratch the window) but the regular 1s wont if yer careful, and i never tried it but real fine steel wool might help get the adhesive off.

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
The fact that "professionals" did it and still messed it up is even worse. I live in one small ass town but our tint shop guys are first rate. They have never had a single problem with anything I've thrown at them. They tinted my DSMs well enough to get several people to ask me about my tint at each year's DSM Shootout. They also re-tinted my Stealth (it had 5% when I bought it in FL) to perfection - all seamless, lifetime warranty Llumar titanium film. And my defroster still works like new.

Any pro shop should be able to remove tint without using any physical force. They should have ammonia and other chemicals that will strip the tint without harming anything under it.

One home tint removal trick is to spray it heavily with ammonia, then tape a trash bag over where you sprayed to keep the glass wet. Then park the car in the sun. It's supposed to remove it with no labor at all. I haven't done it but it sounds feasable.

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
I guess one paycheck a portion will go towards removal, the second will go to replacing :( ohh well its scratched, torn and bubbled in one tine spot.
I really need to be working on my leather.
-Jeff

1 - 13 of 13 Posts