Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

· Registered
5,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i know that everyone is saying show me the numbers with this set of turbos and to date no one has posted anything.

I just ordered a set and should have them back and in the car by the end of this month and the car to rays for tuning and some dyno time.

the car is not by any stretch of the imagination a "built" car. its prob what most of the people looking at these have which is a bpu car in decent to good health.

the mods that it has.
denso supra pump hot wired with larger feed and return lines
fpr
pte 550 injectors
cx racing front mount
pre turbo pipes
maft and safc for tuning
jic spartan exhaust
boost controller
wideband

what is getting installed before the dyno time
the turbos
new spec 2+ clutch unsprung
maximal motor mounts

some more routine maint being done.

i am going to have these set up for 18-20 psi. if everything looks good maybe a bump higher but i didnt build this car for a abuse build. its a weekend driver so im not going to go crazy. plus i dont think ill have enough fuel with the 550's to go much higher.

i am also going to try to dyno the car base line and with 2 custom made parts to see if there is any difference in back to back runs.

so for everyone that is always saying lets see numbers here is your chance to see what they can do. and its ray that is going to be doing the tuning so no one can say the tuner left xxx on the rollers. we will tune like i said for 18-20 or if it starts knocking whats safe without blowing my car up.

And no timp3kgt is not sponsoring me or cutting me any deal to do this.

· Registered
5,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My car is driving right now so turbos will go in asap but being in ny and timp3kgt being in cali there is a 1 week delay each way in shipping

· 4G63 swap initiated
9,322 Posts
Holy ass finally. Others should post up other turbo bob results. Those billets look sexual.

· Registered
5,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
good or bad the results will be posted. i have a feeling i know where the car will end up im just hopeful it can do so safely(and without to much additional modding)

· Registered
5,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i only have 1 e85 station within a 30 mile circle and if it discontinues it its a 70 mile drive for e85.

i dont want to go to much bigger on the injectors since im using a maft and a safc for tuning.

i might do race gas as that i can get local to me in 5 gallon cans. its expensive but i could do a 60/40 mix with 93 and it would give me 97-98 octain so i could run a little more boost. i just have to wonder though at what point are they just blowing hot air and the gains become diminishing

a solid 450 to 500 is what im guessing on this car

· Registered
5,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
true and what i think its all going to come down to is how healthy the engine is and if knock starts showing up earlier than i would like. other than that im not opposed to pushing it or putting straight race gas in to see what they can do.

only issue that has me kinda ahhh is a cast crank 2 bolt block

· Registered
1,487 Posts
i only have 1 e85 station within a 30 mile circle and if it discontinues it its a 70 mile drive for e85.

i dont want to go to much bigger on the injectors since im using a maft and a safc for tuning.

i might do race gas as that i can get local to me in 5 gallon cans. its expensive but i could do a 60/40 mix with 93 and it would give me 97-98 octain so i could run a little more boost. i just have to wonder though at what point are they just blowing hot air and the gains become diminishing

a solid 450 to 500 is what im guessing on this car
Eh that does make a difference. Your avatar thing says 94 vr4 so I figured 4 bolt. He might not want you to go over 450. I would stick with a regular pump gas tune since you will be getting close to the cast cranks limits.

· One fix at a time
9,758 Posts
true and what i think its all going to come down to is how healthy the engine is and if knock starts showing up earlier than i would like. other than that im not opposed to pushing it or putting straight race gas in to see what they can do.

Keep it safe then. I wouldn't mess with race gas. It's too bad you won't be able to but that cast crank won't be able to handle it. I'd push it no more than 450AWHP personally but Ray probably knows what's safe. If you had a forged crank you could go much farther. I guess someone else will have to step up and get some dyno numbers on race gas. Especially with it being on a dyno a number of other vendor's turbos have performed on it will be a good benchmark to see what they put down. I'm sure there will be plenty more buyers lining up with solid numbers.

· Registered
5,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah the crank was my biggest reservation with buying this car but the rest of it is so damn nice i couldnt not buy it. and worst case if it does die a new short block isnt that far away since ray is a mornings drive away.

i think a good tune with dyno numbers will also tell spool characteristics and how the power holds up thru the rpm range and if there is any big jump in performance between this and a set of normal 15g's which have been dynoed to death already.

which i have been looking at the next round of upgrades and a built bottom end is an option i havent crossed off the list.

· One fix at a time
9,758 Posts
yeah the crank was my biggest reservation with buying this car but the rest of it is so damn nice i couldnt not buy it. and worst case if it does die a new short block isnt that far away since ray is a mornings drive away.

i think a good tune with dyno numbers will also tell spool characteristics and how the power holds up thru the rpm range and if there is any big jump in performance between this and a set of normal 15g's which have been dynoed to death already.

which i have been looking at the next round of upgrades and a built bottom end is an option i havent crossed off the list.
At lower boosts there won't be much of a difference unless he was able to reduce the rotational mass with a lighter wheel, use a smaller center post, or change the design to include greater blade area. Most of the results will be seen at higher boost where the cast wheel won't make as much power.

· Registered
5,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
we will see what happens.

obviously im not spending a fortune on this car (yet) but any mods i should be looking at?

· Resident Street Racer
6,779 Posts
Congrats on the car. I remember reading about your scenario earlier..so what exactly happened between now and then? I thought you were out of the 3kgt scene and had that dsm?

Anyways I'm guessing lo mid 400s on pump and low mid 500s on race gas.

· Registered
5,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
dsm is fully built but having an inconsistent spark issue. one day i just woke up and randomly texted someone that i knew that had a vr4 and offered him cold hard cash in his hand and later that day i had a vr4.

and after tinkering with it to finish up some of the small stuff he didnt do i have to say on first drive i remember why i love them so much.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.