Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Gear Head
3,262 Posts
I'm assuming you mean ignition timeing. Time for this is automatically set by the ECU. The ECU also automatically adjust it based on weather conditions percieved from sensors. Are you haveing some sort of problem with your idle or missfireing?

·
Wrenchmonkey #839
4,979 Posts
1/2 right

Bret Brinkmann said:
I'm assuming you mean ignition timing. Time for this is automatically set by the ECU. The ECU also automatically adjust it based on weather conditions percieved from sensors. Are you haveing some sort of problem with your idle or missfireing?
You are 1/2 right. The 93+ engine the ignition timing is not adjustable. On the 91 & 92 TT the timing is set by the crank angle sensor.

With the ignition off ( this is important) ground the ignition timing terminal to tell the computer to Set the timing to basic timing. Then use a timing light and set the timing by adjusting the crank angle sensor on the end of the intake cam on the rear head.

Picture link to Jeff Lucius' webpage:

After timing is set turn off the car THEN disconnect the ground terminal. While I was setting my timing I was connecting and disconnecting the terminal with the engine running. I though it was cool to watch the timing jump 20 degress by grounding the terminal. When I was all done I had the dreaded "SRS" light stuck on. :(

When you follow the factory service manual exactly things work much better.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How do you ground the ignition timing terminal. BTW my Thunderbird Super Coupe (supercharged) has a similar thing. But it is useed to change the timing to run on regular gas 87 octane. Has something to do with a requirement in California.

·
Wrenchmonkey #839
4,979 Posts
Connect a jumper wire to terminal then to negative post on battery

To ground timing terminal just Connect a jumper wire to terminal then to negative post on battery. Make sure ignition is off when you connect and disconnect this. Then use a standard timing light to check the ignition timing. TO se the timing exactly you need to set the idle first. but this will quickly tell you if your timing is way off.

I also suggest you buy a Factory service manual. at least on on CD from Vineet Sighn,

John Monnin

·
Registered
553 Posts
how do i set the timing if i have udp? since there is no mark on the pulley.
thanks

·
Gear Head
3,262 Posts
Unless your crank pulley has timeing marks you wont be able to check timeing. See about getting a timeing plate to install on your crank pulley. How ever most pulleys do have one tick mark that represents TDC. A good timeing light will have a flash adjuster that you can turn untill it flashs at TDC and the however much you turn the knob (it has it's own marks) will tell you your timeing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts