Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T TT Katani Red Pearl
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am from Portland Oregon and while I was doing my rear plugs in my Dodge stealth Turbo I noticed when I took off my timing covers just to check my belt that it was extremely loose I'm glad I caught it now I don't want to drive it until the timing belt is done obviously the 60000 mile service was not done on this vehicle one I bought it however if there is anybody in the area that knows these vehicles and would like to help me I will pay them For their time get back to me and let me know thank you very much

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
14,622 Posts
@RealMcCoy is located in Medford (about 4 hours south of you).
If you don't want to make that drive, still send him a PM and maybe he knows someone reputable closer to you.

BTW, his name is Larry and he owns and runs his own shop.

PS: I know you probably already know this, but your car's color is Kutani Pearl Red...

Bob.

·
14,622 Posts
Oh, and btw, it's not abnormal for the timing belt to have some slack at rest.
I obviously can't see it to tell you if yours is normal or not...

Bob.

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
2,663 Posts
Oh, and btw, it's not abnormal for the timing belt to have some slack at rest.
I obviously can't see it to tell you if yours is normal or not...

Bob.
Bob is absolutely correct about this. It mostly happens when engine stops and sometimes crank will backup a little because of some cylinder coming up on compression, it usually causes slack around water pump pulley (center area of timing belt cover). It doesn’t happen ever time engine stops, but as Bob indicated it’s not abnormal at times.

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
Bob is absolutely correct about this. It mostly happens when engine stops and sometimes crank will backup a little because of some cylinder coming up on compression, it usually causes slack around water pump pulley (center area of timing belt cover). It doesn’t happen ever time engine stops, but as Bob indicated it’s not abnormal at times.
Ditto

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah the belt seems pretty tight around then cams and the teeth are great the slack is in the middle by the water pump pulley. Thank you for getting back to me realmccoy introduced himself to me a few months back so his shop was a thought however I don't think I'll need to take it to him for this. Btw Ohio I saw your reply a week ago correcting me on my color and meant to say thank you lol So im saying THANK YOU!! now lol now I don't sound stupid

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know how to post photos but id like to send some for you guys to see and tell me if you 5hink its a big deal I had already planned eventually to do the timing belt because I wasn't 100% sure that the previous owner did it So within the next month or so I was going to do it just for peace of mind Along with the lifters and oil pump however depending on if this slack is normal or not all just be taking care of it alot sooner

·
14,622 Posts
I was hoping you didn't take my color "correction" as being an A$$, I just though for the sake of others who don't know the names of our OEM colors, I would pass that along.

Bob. :)

·
14,622 Posts
If you can get photo's onto your computer, you can simply drag and drop to any response...

Bob.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok ill give it a try here in a few and let you guys kno. Also no I didn't take offense at all I corrected the spelling right after in my profile but I don't think it changed my username for some reason. I've always wanted one of these cars and im new to them so all knowledge im grateful for. These are different from the 3 corvettes I've owned id be correcting people on those cars often much like you did to me lol do I do appreciate you correcting me.

·
14,622 Posts
Just so you know (and can reference the info later) I got the color info from this post:

91 Stealth colors:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Color Codes Base ES RT TT
Firestorm Red R38/RA8 1406 1684 1358 1048
Jet Black X94/XA4 821 1195 805 698
Pearl White W25/WA5 0 0 925 748
Arctic White W20/WA0 965 1363 0 0 Super Pure White
Mystic (Bright) Blue T87/TA7 571 586 371 235 Fiji Blue Metallic
Red/Black Cherry Metallic R25/RA5 353 403 265 154 Kutani Red Pearl
Turquoise T72/TA2 265 313 169 93 Napier Blue Metallic
Light Beige S22/SA2 148 212 86 40 Wheat Beige Metallic
All 4529 5756 3979 3016

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi I am from Portland Oregon and while I was doing my rear plugs in my Dodge stealth Turbo I noticed when I took off my timing covers just to check my belt that it was extremely loose I'm glad I caught it now I don't want to drive it until the timing belt is done obviously the 60000 mile service was not done on this vehicle one I bought it however if there is anybody in the area that knows these vehicles and would like to help me I will pay them For their time get back to me and let me know thank you very much
Quite normal. I thought the same thing with mine and it's apparently the tensioner thingy.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Quite normal. I thought the same thing with mine and it's apparently the tensioner thingy.
Protip: when replacing the timing belt and tensioner, take a 1/16 thick washer, drill it out to 1/4 inch and glue it over the stud that sticks out. That way if the tensioner fails, the belt won't be too lose.

·
14,622 Posts
Protip: when replacing the timing belt and tensioner, take a 1/16 thick washer, drill it out to 1/4 inch and glue it over the stud that sticks out. That way if the tensioner fails, the belt won't be too lose.
I don't think I've ever heard that approach Max.
Where did you get this information?

Bob.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I don't think I've ever heard that approach Max.
Where did you get this information?

Bob.
I think it was either stealth316 or another forum or even this one. I've been lax the past couple of weeks in my notetaking. My toxicity has been acting up and I have little patience right now. I'll try and reconstruct my browsing.

It was mentioned as "an old trick" but it makes sense if the tensioner fails in the retracted position, the washer keeps enough tension that there won't be any entertaining tooth slippage and valves intersecting pistons.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Whew, that took all of 30 seconds Bob.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts